Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Kawasaki Freak
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!

My wife's Ninja250R has little problem (maybe big problem). After we came back from Christmas vacation, as soon as opened garage door, strong gas smell came out. Ninja had gas leaking badly. Gas even run into crankcase. I cleaned carburetors and petcock. I used hanging fuel tank for carburetor synchronized with no problem. However, after installing fuel tank and connected vacuum hose to petcock, fuel never comes down from the petcock. Now Ninja has no gas to run... Do you guys have any idea what is wrong?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Did you check the vacum line? No leaks? One of the seals inside it could have vaporized and is clogging the line. Worst case I'd say is rebuild the petcock and clean out the fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Petcock line needs to go to a carb intake (if you didn't already know this) to provide vacuum to open the petcock. Then, (of course) the engine needs to be running to provide enough vacuum to open the petcock. If you have a Prime setting, put it on that when trying to start the bike. Place it back on On, after it starts.

The 'gas everywhere' problem points to a petcock needing to be rebuilt. Not a big problem, about $25 in seals and Orings. Just pay attention to the position of the petcock seal/thing when you take it apart. It's got 3 or 4 holes and needs to be put back together exactly the way it came apart.

·
Kawasaki Freak
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
Now, I cleaned petcock and petcock doesn't supply any gas even vacuum pipe is connected to it. No fuel at all... I put 3 gallons of gas back to fuel tank and there is no way to drain the gas from tank to remove petcock again... I may need to rebuilt it as Stormdragon says. BTW, is that KR250 Stormdragon? Please!! some one, would you send me a picture of your Ninja 250's picture of carburetor tubing? My Ninja is missing air cut off valve. I want to know how it effects to fuel supply system.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Thanks guys.
Now, I cleaned petcock and petcock doesn't supply any gas even vacuum pipe is connected to it. No fuel at all... I put 3 gallons of gas back to fuel tank and there is no way to drain the gas from tank to remove petcock again... I may need to rebuilt it as Stormdragon says. BTW, is that KR250 Stormdragon?

Thanks,
Does the petcock have a Prime position? (I know some years don't) If it does, the fuel's still not flowing when on Prime? And if you don't have a Prime position, have you tried putting a hose on the vacuum side (small petcock fitting) and sucking on it? (Don't do this on the large fitting, unless you like the taste of gasoline. :lol:

And yes, that's the back end of my still-trying-to-find-parts-for-it-KR250.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts