Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to a town that's not on most maps, Golden Valley, AZ, and the place is nothing but very very long 15+mile dark roads with no turns unless you're going onto another road (just a huge grid) and the stock headlight I have is not enough for out here. Theirs tons of jack rabbits and coyotes out here plus on these roads their isn't really any speed limit enforcement so I'll be going around 75+mph at times, it refuses to go past 90, I don't know why but I don't really need to go that fast anyways. With how far I can see ahead of me now if something were to be on the road I'd never see it in time so after some research on headlights I found out that Xenon bulbs are the brightest and longest lasting, next I looked up what bulbs my motorcycle (2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250R) supports and all the info I could find was a bit spotty but I found sofar that it supports 9003, H3, and HS2 bulbs, if that's the complete list of supported bulbs I'm unsure. Then I looked around to compair the three types of bulbs and found no info at all. So now I'm stuck not knowing what type I need to get... Could someone explain this to me? I'm very new to working on this motorcycle, the most I've ever done is give it an oil change because this is my fathers bike, he just never uses it. I'm trying to get into how to repair motorcycles but I can't really learn because nothing ever goes wrong on this bike.

Edit: This is probably something I could find in the repair manual but the only one we have is for the wrong year of the motorcycle and either way as I said we just moved here so the manual is in a box somewhere with the moving company that hasn't arrived yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've narrowed it down to the right type of headlight now (H4), except for one thing, the wattage, I found this light BLUHM ENTERPRISES BRITE LITES from Street but it comes in different wattages, the one I want is 100watts high beams 90watts low (Model BL-43B100Z2). Is that too much for my motorcycles wiring? If it is would their be a semi-easy (aka less then one day job) to upgrade the wiring to handle it?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
While the wiring would probably handle the higher wattage, I'm not sure if the headlight could stand the added heat generated by the higher watt bulbs. Maybe it can but hopefully someone will come along that has tried that with your model bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe some aux lighting using some light mounts like this:
www.ShadowStuff.com - Light Bar Mounting Clamps

Or this:
Motorcycle Driving Lights - webBikeWorld
I would try one of those but it's still my fathers bike and he's one of those people that believes 100% stock is the absolute best. I'll have to install this headlight without him knowing over at a friends house because otherwise he'd b**** about it. Where as if I do it without him knowing he will complain till he sees how much better it is then be fine with it. But putting auxiliary lighting on the bike he'd tear them off no matter how good it is, if you get what I mean.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Just imagine what he's gonna do if he gets his bike back with melted wiring or a warped/distorted headlight bucket. :eek:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have ran a 100/90 under a glass headlight, had lots of battery issues, don't know what it would do to a plastic cover.. Pulled it out, never tried it again, it is sitting here in a box.

man, it was BRIGHT though!

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
have you considered a HID headlight setup?
you can usually pick them up relatively cheap on ebay now

·
Serial Sport Rider
638 Posts
Check the Ninja 250 board. They have a complete and extremely detailed listing of what lights you can use and very useful information about power consumption.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I say just get a Sylvania SilverStar bulb and check to make sure that the height adjustment on the light housing is optimal. $15 bulb, 15 minute replace/adjust and no hassles beyond that. If you ride with high beam on and don't go 75 mph when it isn't safe to do so, you'll be fine. Like they teach in the MSF course, "...don't ride faster than headlight...".

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
I got some car driving light kit that was small and attached it with some brackets to the forks, it may have looked a little hoky, but it worked well. I like to see what's along the side of the road. Had a seperate switch for those lights, so I had low, high,and extra high. Or you could slow down, which is probably your best choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts