Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEED HELP PLEASE
Hello i just got a 96 en500 vulcan and i can not get it to run or at least cough. I currently have the carburetors and i drop them off at a place to have them rebuilt so after that i thought i should at least see if i can make the bike start and die ise some starting fueled. So i have tryed that with progress that bike wont even try to start i now i have spark. What else can i do

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
So to clarify:

1) You bought the bike in a non-running condition? How long since it last ran?
2) You installed rebuilt carbs, you have spark and it won't start even with using starter fluid? Have you checked compression?

Do you have any idea what other work may have been done to the bike? Does the engine have any modifications?
You may want to check valve clearance and valve timing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So to clarify:

1) You bought the bike in a non-running condition? How long since it last ran?
2) You installed rebuilt carbs, you have spark and it won't start even with using starter fluid? Have you checked compression?

Do you have any idea what other work may have been done to the bike? Does the engine have any modifications?
You may want to check valve clearance and valve timing.
Ok so the ran when it was park but the carbs need to be rebuilt and i dont have the carbs right now cause there still be rebuilt and the only reason i try to start bike witb out the carbs is my uncle say the bike should try to run if i spary starting fueled.

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
Ok. Well, I would wait for the rebuilt carbs and try again. But in the meantime I would do a compression check. You should do this anyway on any used bike you buy. It will give you an idea of the condition of the engine. If the compression is too low, it won't run.

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
I really don't know the differences. You may have to decode your vin to figure out which one you have. Is it not mentioned on your title?

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
I would strongly advise that you take your VIN to the dealer and purchase a service manual. On an older bike like yours you will find it to be an invaluable resource. The diagram above should match your bike if it really is a 96 EN500 but the previous owner may have removed some of the emissions stuff or maybe yours is not a 96?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts