Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the three yellow wires coming out of the stator one wire is getting hot and can't find the problem can anybody help me it would be well appreciated thank you let me know please

·
Super Moderator
1,906 Posts
Ropp, I think you forgot to attach the link.

Stormy, have you checked all connections from stator to regulator for corrosion or poor contact? As electrical resistance from corrosion increases, so does heat. Often the connectors are at fault.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ropp, I think you forgot to attach the link.

Stormy, have you checked all connections from stator to regulator for corrosion or poor contact? As electrical resistance from corrosion increases, so does heat. Often the connectors are at fault.
Yes we checked all the connections it is getting really hot where yellow wires is connocted to the other yellow wires put a new regrator on it 's seams to be over charging when it is ideling over 14 sorry for the spelling thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the one with the arrow is the one that gets very HOT do you have any idea why i really apreciate the help thank you for your time

·
Super Moderator
1,906 Posts
Great photos! The one with the arrow looks like a lot of the wire strands have broken or were never properly attached in the first place. This is the likely cause of excess heat. All 3 wires look stressed to me.

My advice, unless you don't mind your bike catching fire, is to remove at least 3 " of the black protective covering of the 3 wires going to the stator. Then you have to cut the wires back to good, clean copper with insulation that is still flexible. Heat hardens the insulation and it will just crack and split if it is not flexible. Strip the wires and solder wire extensions onto the three wires to make up for what you cut off. Make sure the extension wire is the same gauge or heavier than the OEM wires. Allow a little bit of extra wire length just in case. Cover the soldered joints with adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing to insulate and protect them from corrosion.

Next crimp new male and female spade terminals onto the wires and get yourself proper multi-pin connector housings, the same as the OEM kind. You can source the terminals and housings from vintage connector suppliers at very reasonable prices. While you are at it, order yourself a new connector protection boot.

Final step is to coat the terminals with dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion.

I would strongly advise installing a new connector at your regulator as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great photos! The one with the arrow looks like a lot of the wire strands have broken or were never properly attached in the first place. This is the likely cause of excess heat. All 3 wires look stressed to me.

My advice, unless you don't mind your bike catching fire, is to remove at least 3 " of the black protective covering of the 3 wires going to the stator. Then you have to cut the wires back to good, clean copper with insulation that is still flexible. Heat hardens the insulation and it will just crack and split if it is not flexible. Strip the wires and solder wire extensions onto the three wires to make up for what you cut off. Make sure the extension wire is the same gauge or heavier than the OEM wires. Allow a little bit of extra wire length just in case. Cover the soldered joints with adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing to insulate and protect them from corrosion.

Next crimp new male and female spade terminals onto the wires and get yourself proper multi-pin connector housings, the same as the OEM kind. You can source the terminals and housings from vintage connector suppliers at very reasonable prices. While you are at it, order yourself a new connector protection boot.

Final step is to coat the terminals with dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion.

I would strongly advise installing a new connector at your regulator as well.
WFO-KZ Thank you for all of your help that was the problem thank you so much hope you and family have a great Easter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts