Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to clean out the carburetor myself instead of paying the mech to do it and save money. First time mech and rider there on a NINJA EX500

Problem is I forgot where the hoses are connected to, here are some pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/FantasyKnight/DSC03489.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/FantasyKnight/DSC03490.jpg

And wasn't there suppose to be a hose or something connected to this as well? I think I might've lost it T_T

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/FantasyKnight/DSC03491.jpg

Thanks in advance guys

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
These are my GUESSES. Picture number one is the vacuum port for the petcock. Picture number two is the petcock vacuum hose, which should be put on the port in picture number one. This will allow the petcock to flow fuel when the engine is running. Picture number three is where the vent hose plugs on. The other end of the vent hose will hang loose down near the rear wheel.
I don't have and have never worked on your model of motorcycle, so all I could do was guess.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Ok first off the BLUE arrow (Left Pic) points to what looks like the hose that attaches to the rear of the Gas tank that you say may have gotten lost as it's the wrong color for fuel hose on that model bike.

The GREEN arrow (Right Pic) points to the hose that should connect to the petcock where you have the vent hose connected at the moment.

Do you follow ?

·
Registered
264 Posts
When I pull my tank, I disconnect the hoses at the petcock. I find that easier for me. Bottom forward vertical hose is vacuum from one carb. Other carks vacuum line opens some valve whodad :) You can look at that one to see where the vacuum on the other carb is. Bigger back horizontal hose is the fuel line. On the back end of the tank is an overflow that drains down thru the center of the bike.

Brian

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well... reason I took the carbs apart to clean them is because I had the same problem I am having now:
The bike wouldn't stay on or idle without the choke, tried adjusting it too. Looked up my problems and everyone suggested I cleaned my carbs.

It was running fine the night before, I went on the interstate the first time and streets, next day it happened. I took my carbs apart mentioned in the wiki, went out and bought a can of carb and throttle cleaner. Sprayed it down and soaked it let it sit to dry for a couple of minutes, wiped everything with paper towels. Then I put it back together.

I striped off the Diaphram cover, Holder, Needle, Spring etc for the top part. The bottle part I took off the Pilot Jet, Main Jet, Main Jet Holder, Float, Pilot Screw, and the little gold piece underneath the main jet holder. I used my can of carb cleaner on everything I saw, little holes, through the little screws etc and made sure they went through.

It took a while to start up but then I had high RPMS at around 5,000 and it stayed there. Tried adjusting the idle valve etc didn't work, it also kept making loud popping noises like firecrackers. Then I cut it off for a bit because it started to rain. After it stopped I tried turning it on again but it wouldn't go, turned over again. and I would go into low RPM's with the choke on around 3 or 4 (I think that's low because when I bought the bike it got to around 5 or 6 with the choke on). then when it warmed up I eased off the choke gently and it would die out.

Called a mechanic off my local craigslist and the previous owner told me about him. Said about 90% of the time it's the carbs, I guess I didn't clean it throughly enough gotta ask him about it.

Charging me $78 and that's just because i'm bringing him the carbs, If I brought him the whole bike it'll be $117.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well he told me about 90% of the time it's what the problem is and what customers come to him for. Also, he mentioned that he uses the $150 type of carb cleaner, and lets it soak for 2 hours. So the total time it takes is about 4 hours he said.

Too bad it'll take a couple of days for him to get frame sliders and dog bone links, said he'll do it for me for price but it'll be couple days till they arrive. Beats the dealership price of being $150!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.