Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys my bike have been redone at a bike shop and there is the problem of the bike has 2 much compression but when the bike starts it runs back words(in revirse) could it be the timing or could it be the wiring of the coil?should i rewire it?? or what could be the problem

·
Registered
917 Posts
Why not take it back to the guys who were supposed to fix?
But I would understand if you did not want to.
What exactly did the mechanics redo?
You failed to mention what bike it is.

Your timing is wrong and the spark is causing it to fire at the wrong point driving the crank backwards. This will actually cause the bike to drive in reverse.

You need to turn the stator plate and line up the mark on the case with the (3) mark(s) on the plate to change the timing. So take the stator cover off and see if you can get to the bolts without removing the flywheel. May be possible, may not. You are supposed to use an impact driver to loosen and tighten the bolts. And you may have to remove the flywheel to set the timing.

Also the flywheel key may be sheared off.

·
KX power
90 Posts
sounds like something in the kickstart? someone must have put something together wrong..try and push start the thing..in FORWARD....

·
Registered
917 Posts
sounds like something in the kickstart? someone must have put something together wrong..try and push start the thing..in FORWARD....
Seriously? If his timing is way off way would he want to risk doing this? And what would his kick start have do with any of what he described?

Have you ever put an electrical system on a bike and adjusted the timing before?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a kx 250 1989,crank was redone,new pistn, new flywheel, carb re done, cluchplates ext, they think its the timing the bike is still there but i am treing to find info.

thanks nd4speed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they have pussed the bike foward starts but enjin runs back words.one the bike ran foward but then agin backwords.kx250 1989

lizardback

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, i have putted a new flywheel on(the bike shop)the bikeran one fward but the next time backword,they want to rewire the coil,but i dont think that could be it, do you maby have 4 me a pic how it bust be?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I really doubt the coil needs to be rewound. Sounds like these mechanics are try to soak you for more money. They need to fix it free of cost because they did not set the timing correctly. If my mechanic ever tried to pull a stunt like this, I would start looking for a new mechanic.

Sounds to me like the timing is advanced too far. It is supposed to spark at TDC- top dead center. If it fires in advance of the piston reaching TDC, then piston will be driven down before the crank makes its forward rotation. The crank would then travel in reverse.

I posted a picture of timing mark and stator lines but typically the manuals will tell you to start on the mark to the right. The stator plate position affects all timing and can make the bike run either forwards or backwards.

The flywheel is held in place with a key and does not change position unless the key is missing or broken.
Why would you need a new flywheel anyway? They don't go bad.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Are you sure the flywheel you replaced it with was exactly the same? It is also possible the flywheel changed the timing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Seriously? If his timing is way off way would he want to risk doing this? And what would his kick start have do with any of what he described?

Have you ever put an electrical system on a bike and adjusted the timing before?
tell me what ac cdi system you can adjust the timing. and when you say "timing" do you guys mean mechanical or ignition? if it's a mechanical only thing i can think of is the final drive in the transmittion is on the wrong side with the wheel on backwards. is the bike a 2 stroker?

·
Registered
252 Posts
yes, but what was causing it to fire at the wrong time!!! We gots to know! I had a new crank put in and the shop put the wrong one in because they used an old catalogue which had a misprint in it. I found it by putting a srewdriver in the plug hole to find TDC then looked to see where the magnet was then compared it to the old crank. The magnet was 90 degrees out retarded because they changed the flywheel keyway from '05 kx250 onwards as stated in the current catalogue! It would not start even with a massive roll down a hill. Just about took to it with a blowtorch before solving it. So don't always trust the shop on a good job, check their work and if its crap take it back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Changed flywheel old one broke.The timing of the flywheel untit was 90 degrees out that casuase the crank to move in the wrong directrion and casuas the bike to drive back words.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts