Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Looking for help and need to some ideas what could be wrong and possible ease my fears of head gasket gone.

I have a Kawasaki zzr 400 import 1992 model.

Previous problem was that battery wouldlnt hold charge and replaced the recitifier which seemed to solve the problem but just reacently found white cream in oil window. to be honest covered window. Started over heating and spurting coolant out the back of the bike and making a gurgling noise when turned engine off.

Read up online and found that it may have been the fact it was old coolant and as only had the bike 6 months not sure how long the coolant had been in there. Done a complete change about just over a week week ago. Filled system leaning bike either way to get as much air out of the system as possible and seemed fine. Ran cool and fine until 2 days ago and then found started to over heat again. checked coolant expansion bottle and was empty so filled it between half between upper level and lower level. Ran for a day then hot again. Checked today and bottle was empty.

Changed oil as was milky lookin, ( i know most probably head gasket with all things combined but told maybe condensation.)

filled expansion coolant again and started it. Straight away bubbles were showing in expansion bottle and when it started to get hot after 5 mins turned it off and coolant then emptied out of bottle into bike. barely a quarter of what i put in still in the bottle. Checked taking the thermostat off as highest point in coolant system and couldnt even see coolant in it.

I know long explanation but you guys did say be sure to include as much info as poss. Looking for you expertise and help.

THank you

DArren:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :newyear:

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Time to pull it apart. If you're lucky it's only a bad head gasket and not a cracked head/cylinder.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
If you are burning it you'll have one or more very "clean" spark plugs.
Check those first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you to you both, another thing tho. when i left it earlier it had about a 5th of the expansion bottle with coolant in. went to put it away and it had disappeared???

any ideas why that could happen. Engine not running and no leak on the floor. Just seemed to evaporated or disappeared somewhere???:newyear:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Have a look at your water pump, a bad seal may be leaking the coolant into the engine. I find it doubtful that a cracked head or bad gasket can explain THAT much fluid loss. Confirm by inspecting plugs as Eric suggested.

·
Insect Impact Analyst
789 Posts
Most likely the coolant draining into the crankcase created a vacuum large enough to drain the coolant bottle. Did you see coolant running out the exhaust pipes? Did you have any white smoke (steam, actually) coming from the exhaust? That could indicate a head gasket/cylinder problem as opposed to just leaking into the crankcase. Best check the plugs as suggested before to see if they are super clean. Normal plugs should have a tannish or grayish color to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big fear comes true.......

have just had my dad come over who is a lorry mechanic. maybe not a bike mechanic but a mechanic is a mechanic.

We have just checked spark plugs and tried it with water in radiator. Lot more steam came out with water and number 3 spark plug does look as if it has white residue on it and a little cleaner not full on clean compared to the others. Getting more convinced head gasket has gone all the time.

Im afraid its gonna have to be sidelined for a few months now while i try to get the cash £500 together to get it done. Dont mean to be rude and offened anyone with my next comment but getting a cbr 600 next month as its a deal i couldn't miss, £800 for a 1995 cbr 600 with 12 months MOT and paint work in nearly mint condition except for the odd chip.

Have no fear though as im not completely turning to the dark side as my zzr will see the light of day again when have the money together but with my gf as the new owner as she wants to pass her test coz shes fed up seeing the back of my head lol.

Thank you all for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts