Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, I installed a V&H pro-pipe, Caddman mod, and the re-jet kit. The bike has been performing absolutely flawlessly with greatly improved performance,,, up until yesterday. Starting, idle, accel thru all gears, and cruise were normal. But each time,,, every time, I come to a stop,,the bike experiences one small pop-back/spit thru the carb/aircleaner and the engine dies. If I can "catch" the pop just right with the throttle, I can keep the engine going,,,and then the bike idles just fine. Accel away from the stop is normal, as is thru all the gear changes. Maximum accel is no problem anywhere thru the gears, with no stumble, pops, hesitation, or any other signs of abnormal performance. If, during slow-down for a stop,,,say around 20 mph or so,,,I pull in the clutch and let the engine go down toward idle, it will die, every single time. I sure could use some input before I head for the trial and error troubleshooting. Thanx to all in advance for your help, Gus

·
Registered
237 Posts
Try raising the rpm 50 more... If that works, refine the mix screw, first leaning to a drop in RPM, then turning it to best rpm, passing that till a too RICH drop, then back to best, then add a little more fuel.

I am not sure the carbed bikes have reed valve bodies or not, but if they do check the vac line off the carb to the vac pod.

If this was disabled and or just removed check the cap, where the vac line used to be. It would be a good idea to check this first .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx Mac Muz,,will do all of the above,,when i removed the reed valves and put on the flat-plates,,,I used rubber vacumn port plugs on all the old ports,,one could have come off. gus

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree, it seems to me to sound like adjusting the idle would help. I had a 89 Yamaha Radian that has similar symptoms and adjusting the idle fixed the issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Those caps only last so long, maybe 2 years if you get lucky. The hotter it is the fast they die. A great deal of problems are solved before they happen if you make it habit to replace them each spring.

If this were an injected bike I would be all over cleaning the throttle body, and even on a carbed bike it could make sence, not just as much sence.

Do you guys call the flat plates coasters on this site? I made a set for my 06 Nomad. It has TFI, right side only Cadman, and I know him personal, stayed in his house 18 nights., and V&H Baggers.

Back in 05 I had never really seen the USA, so rode out to see him. We were both Mods on another site then, and I had been there a time, so had many invites, where i was able to take up about 1/2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts