Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent 180 bucks to replace the starter clutch on my Bayou 220 and it still has the same problem as before. The starter sounds like its slipping and makes a whining sort of noise. I looked at the motor first and its OK. I don't see any broken/missing/worn teeth on any of the gears but when the starter button is pushed, all I get is what sounds like the starter motor is slipping. I hesitate replacing the starter since I've allready wasted 180 bucks on the clutch. Any ideas ????

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
sounds like the starter is NOT engaging correctly. i dont know if it works like a car with a bendix or not. if it drives directly on the starter clutch then i dont think it works that way but i dont know for sure.
do you have a manual ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
found starter problem

Thanks for the reply, no there isn't a Bendix on this starter. I do have a manual but it isn't much help with this problem. I did find the problem after quizzing the local dealer. He told me that in 20 years of service work, he had 1 unit that had a slipping starter idle gear (this is a double gear reducer that sits between the starter and the flywheel). This gear is supposed to only slip if the engine kicks back while the starter is engaged. Over time, the gears in mine loosened up to where it slipped all the time. I had the gears welded together rather that spending another 120 bucks for a new one. I guess if the engine kicks back now, it might knock the starter out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
found starter problem

Thanks for the reply, no there isn't a Bendix on this starter. I do have a manual but it isn't much help with this problem. I did find the problem after quizzing the local dealer. He told me that in 20 years of service work, he had 1 unit that had a slipping starter idle gear (this is a double gear reducer that sits between the starter and the flywheel). This gear is supposed to only slip if the engine kicks back while the starter is engaged. Over time, the gears in mine loosened up to where it slipped all the time. I had the gears welded together rather that spending another 120 bucks for a new one. I guess if the engine kicks back now, it might knock the starter out.
Hi
Ive had same issue and thinking to do same i know this is an old post but do you remember if it solved your problem and any consequences from welding it ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts