Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone i need some help with my front brake on my '82 kz 550 ltd. i have been restoring my bike and when i got to the front brakes i got to a road block. i have taken of the master cylinder and took out the piston and soked it in a solvent tank, and i got it really clean. well i gues the real problem is that i cant get it to pump and brake fluid...and help or sugestions on how to get it to work would be great! thanks.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
gar.rocko,

Welcome to the forum. My husband Mack knows about the brakes. When he comes home I will ask him to email you about it.

Do you have a service manual for it?

Again, Welcome and hope you enjoy the forum. Its a lot of fun.

Heather

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Asked Mack...he said that make sure that the brake line is clear all the way through and that it is not collapsed anywhere....How many miles are on the bike????

Heather

·
Registered
741 Posts
Have you bled the brake line after re-installing the cylinder? You may bave air in the line after removing the cylinder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well there's about 169,000 miles on it or more, and the lines seem fine. i think it has something to do with the master cyclinder...its not pumping anything from the resevoir.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Brake help

You have to use a vacuum pump on the cylinder to bleed the cylinder. Because there is such a small amount of brake fluid being pumped when you squeeze the lever, many times you may have a small air bubble in the fluid chamber of the plunger and it wont allow fluid to go past. (It just keeps sucking in the bubble and trying to pump it back again). A tool called a MIGHTY VAC IS A HAND POWERED VACUUM PUMP AND IT WILL DRAW THE FLUID THROUGH THE MASTER CYLINDER AND INTO THE CALIPER. CONNECT IT TO THE BLEED PORT ON THE CALIPER AND JUST PUMP THE MIGHTY VAC AND IT WILL BLEED THE SYSTEM FOR YOU. iTS ALMOST LIKE PRESSURE BLEEDING A CARS BRAKE SYSTEM. If you play with the leaver of the master cylinder long enough, you may get it to start to pump fluid. Remove the brake line from the cylinder. squeeze the lever. Hold it in and make sure your finger is covering the outlet hole. release the lever. Squeeze it again and put your finger there again. release it when you have covered the hole again. Do this a few times and you may start to pump fluid. then connect the brake line and bleed it down to the caliper, opening and closing the bleeder each time you squeeze and release the lever. Just might work.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
the solvent may have actually screwed the rubber seal in your master. get a MITY-VAC and bleed the brakes before thinking the worst.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Yeup, they said it all, If none of that works the break lines have deteriorated on the inside and the fluid will not flow. if they have any deterioration at all you might have to clean the caliper out.

Mack

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the help, i think what knightrider said is what the problem is, i know that solvent screws up the rubber and thats why i put it in there for a couple of minutes and then neutralized it with wd40. i will just have to try to get that air bubble out, because that is what i see happening when i squeeze the handle. thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts