Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i finally have time for my bike, i bought it and was told the starter had no bolts and would have to buy them. So i take the coolant hose off to see 2 bolts sticking out were the starter is so pose to be mounted. so i bought a new battery and charged it, all the lights work on the gauge and rear the front didn't for some reason.

So, i go in my garage take the starter out of the shelf it was sitting in hook up the power cable, and mounted it to the bike. I pluged all the wires back in excluding the one plugged into the bottom of the gas tank and nothing. press the button turned the key all the way and nothing at all..........:'(

Any suggestions guys? Im going to look for a volt tester around my house and see if i might be loosing power somewhere. Any input is appreciated

·
Registered
522 Posts
So you're not even getting the starter-relay to click.

Short this out (carefully) with a big screwdriver across the two big terminals and see if the motor spins, you'll get a few sparks, don't jump and bang yer 'ead :mrgreen:

If this works then it's the feed to the relay, which goes from the ignition/button/kill-switch via one or more lockouts (clutch, sidestand etc, not sure exactly what your model has), which needs checking. Sometimes it's the plug which connects to the relay itself that needs a wiggle, try it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Most of the Kawasaki's I've owned have a clutch interlock switch. You'll have to squeeze the clutch lever to get the engine to turn over and start.
If you remove the clutch lever, a small switch plunger should be visable. This is what completes the starting circuit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
a seat i have the plastic housing need to go and get quoted how much a custom seat will cost, carb push and pull cables, a clutch cable, get the 4th carb open and clean it, Valve adjust i believe ( might be why it bogs when u rev after 6k or could be carb ) all i cant think off of the top of my head. my friends owes me 300 bucks which i plan on spending all off it on her, and im currently saving for a new turbo for my car cause the current one is dying :'( . Beeing a college student and working only on weekends dosent help

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you havnt checked the valve clearances then do than now. Needs to be done on a cold engine so you dont need to run it. You really should do it anyway as part of a good service. If you dont do it, then you might be blaming the carbs for something the engine is causing and your going to have serious problems locating the problem if she doesnt run. :)
Bowden cables are almost for free in ebay and the seat shouldn't be a problem :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts