Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok if you look at the left hand control..under the control is a three pin connector mounted with two wires...black/red, and black

the wires somehow came loose from the connector and I need to reconnect but do not know which wire goes where..

the connector is a three pin but only has two wires.

looking from the top of the bike can someone tell me the orientation of the wires...,ie, use two outside pins, black/red towards back of bike, black towards front of bike

also what is the function of this..seems like some kind of switch...

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Most bike's have the high and low beam switch wires, horn button,and turn signal switch along with a hazard switch. Do you have a color coded wiring diagram? If so, it can't be too hard to figure what goes where.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh I forgot to mention that i have an 07 meanstreak...

I have the 1600 manual...and looked at the wiring diagram but it does not say which wires go where on the connector....

the wires somehow came loose out of the connector and I need to put them back in but don't know which piins to connect to.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am lost..... You can't tell the function? Looking at a classic diagrame the colors are not even close for hi / lo, and I can't imagine the wiring is all that different from year to year and bike to bike from a maker.

Best thing i can say is get a test light, find which wire is hot, then cross it up with another, and see what happens.

Black With Yellow is ground, on all kawii's current, so don't go jam a hot wire in to that colors wire.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I take that back, you are talking about the clutch safety switch. I can't say which is which right now, since the bike is in winter storage still. thinking...

·
Registered
237 Posts
solid black should be center and hot, back somewhere in the harness is a connector where solid black turns yellow/green.

At that same connector the red/black turns green something.. and goes to the neutral lamp.

Leaving the Key ON power comes thru on solid black and the red black wire plugged in will light up the neutral light if the bike is in neutral.

make it be that way.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Those wires are for the starter interlock. Its reason for living is so that you cannot have the bike in gear with the clutch released and the starter will operate.
The black goes to center pin.
Then measure resistance from center to each outside pin. The pin that shows 0 ohms, with the clutch PULLED, is the one that the black/ red goes to.

This Must be verified:
Kickstand up, put bike in gear, clutch released, turn on key, starter MUST NOT operate. Pull in clutch, starter will operate.
Leave bike in gear, kickstand down, starter will not operate clutch pulled or not pulled.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just be sure the OHMS and the VOLTS never meet, or the fuse in the meter will pop, and there will be another fise to attend...

In other word do not forget to turn OMHS off before volts is applied to any ohms meters!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts