Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,710 Posts
Welcome to KawasakiMotorcycle.org

These bikes are very cold blooded and take a long time to warm up. If it never warms up enough to get rid of the symptoms you describe, then it likely needs the carbs cleaned.

·
Registered
'09 EX500, '15 Vulcan S
4 Posts
These bikes are very cold blooded and take a long time to warm up. If it never warms up enough to get rid of the symptoms you describe, then it likely needs the carbs cleaned.
Two different things are likely at play here: A stuck clutch (or faulty kickstand switch) and a dirty carb.

To remedy the clutch/kickstand switch, pull in the clutch and front brake with the engine running and give it a firm press down into first. Three things may happen:
  • If it lurches forward and dies, you have a stuck clutch. Repeat a couple times until it drops into first without stalling.
  • If it doesn't lurch forward aggressively and stays running, you should be good to go as far as the clutch and kickstand switch is concerned.
  • If it doesn't lurch forward but still dies, your clutch is free but there is likely an issue with the kickstand switch circuit. Peruse the ninjette.org forums, they're very helpful when it comes to pinpointing issues.
The clutch on my 500 frequently exhibits the first option, and occasionally takes one stall to free itself up. I have the habit of grabbing the front brake after a cold start to make sure everything's good to go.

As for the carb, I recommend giving it a full once over - make sure the passages and jets are all clear, including the choke circuit. While you're in there, verify the jetting is stock and the air filter is clean.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts