Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK well my buddy has an old school 1974 100cc Kawasaki dirt bike. We were riding it today, ran fine for like 2 hours. Then all of a sudden it wouldn't run anymore. Well we cleaned the carb and plug. Go to kick start it and it wont even move. So we pull the head off and the upper block (idk what you guys call it) and the bottom ring let go and there are marks everywhere on the pistion, cylinder and a few marks on the head. How do we go about fixing this? Is it like a car where we can just get a .030 over kit or is a new motor inline? Where would we find parts for a 30 year old bike?

Thanks,
Joel

·
Registered
191 Posts
joel, i bought a bike in similar condition. i sent my cylinder with a new piston off to cali somewhere to have it rechromed. The rechrome the cylinder and bore it to match the piston you send them. what bike is it, F9? if it was a 2 stroke id suggest you do away with the oil pump as that was probobly your problem and just run premix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IDK what bike it is, all I know is it is a 74 100cc. It does have the oil pump and I think that could be the problem. Where would I find a new pistion and when woudl we send the cylinder out to?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, the bike is a 2 stroke KZ 100. The only problem I see is finding the parts to fix it. Where can I find a new piston and rings? A local machine shop could most likely do the machine work on the cylinder. Now if I could only find a cheap replacement piston.

·
Registered
191 Posts
when you call them up make sure you have your vin number handy because i dont think there is a kz100. its probobly ke100 F9 or something along those lines, but they should be able to find it. also check out aftermarket people like wiseco. pro x probobly wont have anything but wiseco will suprise you sometimes. but my guess is kawi will have it for you.

good luck. if you run into a snag with anything let me know. i might have a manual around here that will cover the bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
if its got scratches you'll have to get it cut and sleeved...and go on ebay and try to find some stuff they got all kinds of stuff on there

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
being its this old it will more than likely NOT be a nikasil cylinder so you will be able to bore it without a problem. i would try all the above places for a piston. weisco,pro-x,kawasaki etc....
as for where to get it bored, i would try the bike shops first and find out where they send theirs to get bored. will prob. run ya 20-40$ plus the new piston/rings/pin/bearing.
if you decide to do the rebuild yourself make sure you know all the tricks with putting a 2-stroke together correctly
good luck

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
First of all: It's not F9. The F9 is a 350cc. If it's a 74, it's not a KE 100 either. The first KE appeared in 76. PM me your frame #, and I'll tell you what it is. You will most likely find a piston on ebay for your bike, but you'll need to know what it is first. I suggest you do as follows:

1. Find out what kind of bike you've got
2. What is stamped on the top of the piston ? (STD ? 0.5 ? 1.0 )
3. Buy a piston kit.
4. Get the cylinder bored.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts