Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a broken 2000 Kawasaki KSF 250 Mojave and after a top end tear down I find I need a head and both cam shafts along with a complete exhaust system. The head journals and caps along with both cam lobes are way out of spec. If I buy everything new its going to cost around 2 grand to get this thing going and I havent been able to find any good used parts. My question is would it be any cheaper to buy a complete engine like from a crashed dirt bike and swap it out? As long as it will fit into the frame I can mod the mounts. I once put a chevy small block in a VW beetle and I feel I still have the ability to swap another engine as long as I dont have to modify the frame. I paid $400.00 for it and I knew better because it was a 15 year old kids and I have seen him run the hell out of it but I was trying to help him get the dirt bike he wanted and I was hoping that I would get lucky and only need a piston, rings and cylinder. Ironically the Piston, rings, cylinder and bottom end are in great shape. Any suggestions would definately be appreciated. Jimi

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
For the hell of it bring it to a machine shop and see if they can grind the caps and rebore it.
if its already a junk head try doing it yourself grind the caps and use a hone carefully till you get it to specs or reasonably close. as you are well aware of the atv isn't worth anything If you are unlucky find used parts I would part out the bike on ebay and hope to get your 4 hundred back.
I have also heard of people putting kx250 motors in these with a little fabrication

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a used head and exhaust for it on Ebay. You should be able to find either one cheap.
Thank you for the suggestion but I have been on there since I got this thing and the only parts I can find for it is the exhaust and some plastic.:frown: I just keep watching and waiting. Thanks again, Jimi

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the hell of it bring it to a machine shop and see if they can grind the caps and rebore it.
if its already a junk head try doing it yourself grind the caps and use a hone carefully till you get it to specs or reasonably close. as you are well aware of the atv isn't worth anything If you are unlucky find used parts I would part out the bike on ebay and hope to get your 4 hundred back.
I have also heard of people putting kx250 motors in these with a little fabrication
Thanks very much for the tip on the kx250 motor, If I cant get one I will just part it out. again thanks Jimi

1 - 7 of 7 Posts