Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using the cheap SEARS on-board charger/maintenor for years on my car, and got a Schumacher 1562A (again cheap one from Walmart) for my 800A.
Since both were hooked up right there, I checked the terminal voltage for fun.
Once it is on, the Schumacher starts raising the voltage up to 14 and something (it seemed that it was checking the current there), the charging LED lit, later the voltage comes down to 13.3 and stays there forever.
The SEARS one charges up to 14V, then let the terminal voltage drop to 13V by itself, and bring it up to 14V. This has been repeated last two hours. I know that my car battery is charged up already, so this might continue forever.

Does anyone know why they are different like this, and what it means?

Thanks!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Different designs.
The owner's manual for my dirtbike specs 12.8 as "fully charged" for that battery.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Different designs.
The owner's manual for my dirtbike specs 12.8 as "fully charged" for that battery.
Yes, the open termial voltage of 12.7 or 8 would mean fully charged, per many sources (mostly from Google). The charging voltage seems to vary much, ranging from 13 to 14, and even above 15V.
Different designs. According to the product description, one says trickle charger, and float mode for the other one. As long as the charge voltage stays between 13 and 14V, I hope it would be safe.
Both batteries on my car and 800A are only about a year old, but I am going to put the chargers on them whenever they are in garage.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Unless you're getting into freezing temperatures AND you don't run the vehicles regularly, it's really not needed.

I ride my dirtbike maybe 8 weekends a year. I bought it in December '04, and have around 1500 miles on it.
I JUST replaced the battery last weekend. I think I charged it before riding once or twice after the extended summer storage.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you're getting into freezing temperatures AND you don't run the vehicles regularly, it's really not needed.

I ride my dirtbike maybe 8 weekends a year. I bought it in December '04, and have around 1500 miles on it.
I JUST replaced the battery last weekend. I think I charged it before riding once or twice after the extended summer storage.
speaking of freezing weather... it is 8F now, and going down and down. Near the garage door is freezing already.

Not sure what it is... but when I put the charger on the battery and see the green LED coming up... i feel love... and I like it:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah... I am [email protected]$!ng out with joy. This 5yr old laptop battery I thought that was dead... It is Ni-MH type. I pulled it out and did the exercise thing. Charge 10 min and turned it on. It died in 2 min. Charged 30 min and it lasted 5 min this time. Charged 1 hour, and it ran 20 min. I think it might come back to life.
I am going through all the rechargable batteries from 800A, car, flash light, everything. May be the best way to spend Saturday home. If the laptop battery comes back, I am saving big $$$.
Tomorrow will be above 40F with some rain. Very strange weather, but I will gladly take it and get some riding time. Anyway my 800A is covered with salt, needs to be washed... Hope everyone is having good start for this new year...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts