Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The differential lock on my Kawasaki mule 2500 doesn’t work and it’s not the cable or the shaft going into the transmission housing wondering if something’s jammed or locked up still drives fine though would like to have it because it is very useful because the thing is only 2wd. Also can you tell me what you'd have to do to fix it. (Whether it’s just taking off the axles and opening up the side of the transmission or splitting the transmission in two)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am in the same situation! I think the lock is a little pin that slides in to lock it, and you aren't supposed to stomp on the gas to get it to engage. That is what I did to break mine I think. Which means that that pin is floating around inside my diff........I hear strange noises occasionally, which is NOT good! I look forward to hearing how to fix it.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Take a look at the differential parts diagrams, and you will see one side of the locking mechanism on the left side of the diagram, it is called the cap, gear case.

Then take a look at the diagram for the drive shaft and you will see a part called the shifter. That is the other side of the differential lock.

Now that you know what the internals look like, take a look at the transmission housing down on the left side by the differential section, and you will find a lever connected to a cable. That is the engagement unit.

You can start by checking adjustment to make sure the cable is fully engaging the differential lock, and work from there. Usually it is a cable or lever problem.

A picture of the differential locking lever and mechanism is found at the bottom of the diagram for the gear change mechanism.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I checked the cable works fine doesnt go back out when pushed in but that because of the spring loaded lever does that, shaft and lever going into transmisson seem to move or jiggle but not all the way thats why i think somethings froze up inside the transmisson whether or not it is moved out of place or the differental gear is all messed up i dont really know but would like to have is helpful on hill climbing and mud. Before i knew the diff lock didnt work i always put it in before climbing a hill and going through mud, I guess it was just a self confidence issue. Never should have looked at the darn thing...haha

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Jack up the rear wheels and put the transmission in neutral, disconnect the lock cable and then roll the left rear wheel and move that locking lever and see if it fully engages the lock.

If not, then you have an internal problem and will need to pull it open and take care of the issue before it bites you elsewhere (like dropping the lever engagement pin that rides in the collar of the axle side engagement unit into the differential).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jack up the rear wheels and put the transmission in neutral, disconnect the lock cable and then roll the left rear wheel and move that locking lever and see if it fully engages the lock.

If not, then you have an internal problem and will need to pull it open and take care of the issue before it bites you elsewhere (like dropping the lever engagement pin that rides in the collar of the axle side engagement unit into the differential).
We've had it for almost 2 years dont think it ever worked...never seemed to give any trouble to us, Ill try that and see what i can come up with

1 - 6 of 6 Posts