Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
When in doubt gas it!!!
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 1990 KX250 and I need a output shaft for it. I got the bike recently and the former owner(s) didn't maintain well. The shaft has notches on each spline worn as deep as 1/8" where the counter sprocket engages. When you move the sprocket forward and back it's a huge amount of movement. Any suggestions? I am having trouble locating one. I purchased one, from Cycle Parts Nation, but they have emailed me and informed me that Kawasaki has discontinued that part. That has me bummed out. Please help if you can.

Thanks

Hawkeye:confused:

·
Registered
917 Posts
You may find only the 1990 and 1991 have this output shaft, and quantities will be limited. Ebay and salvage yard searches.

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
Keep an eye on eBay is the best you can do.

Good luck with it!

·
When in doubt gas it!!!
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New news! First everywhere seemed to be a dead end. In my search I found that the part was superseded to a later year model (96' I think it was) and that part number is now discontinued as well. But, I found one last one at a parts supplier and it's on it's way to me right now. Whew! I thought I was screwed.
Having that part will now allow me to proceed to my next search for bottom end parts to continue my restoration.

Hawkeye :cool:

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
13128-1173 was for 1990 - 1996 KX250. It superseeds to 13128-1215.

13128-1215 was for 1997 - 1998 KX250.

Good luck on the continued rebuild!

·
When in doubt gas it!!!
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is correct. Thanks for the good wishes. I see LOTs of good info and good help from each of the members that are knowlegable here. I really appreciate that. You all willbe hearing from me more in the future with both questions, progress on my project and help when I can provide it.

Thanks guys!

Hawkeye :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey all,

I have a 1990 KX250 and I need a output shaft for it. I got the bike recently and the former owner(s) didn't maintain well. The shaft has notches on each spline worn as deep as 1/8" where the counter sprocket engages. When you move the sprocket forward and back it's a huge amount of movement. Any suggestions? I am having trouble locating one. I purchased one, from Cycle Parts Nation, but they have emailed me and informed me that Kawasaki has discontinued that part. That has me bummed out. Please help if you can.

Thanks

Hawkeye:confused:
hello,i had to get a new output shaft for my 94 kx250 because of the same reason someone hadnt changed the front sprocket for god knows how long and grooved the hell out of the shaft then the sprocket is a real sloopy fit,what i do is change the front sprocket about every 20 hours or so there only cheap and better than replacing the output shaft,and the output shafts are still avalible new from kawasaki,goodluck

·
When in doubt gas it!!!
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I have found a shaft since my last post. I am saving the cash for a lower bearing and connecting rod kit, and for the labor to do the install of said parts. I just recieved my cylinder back from "Kustom Kraft" I had them do a big bore kit to 301 cc's. I can't wait to get together and out in the desert. The suspension is going to get reconditioned both front and back as well.
Thanks again for the input everyone.

Hawkeye

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have found a shaft since my last post. I am saving the cash for a lower bearing and connecting rod kit, and for the labor to do the install of said parts. I just recieved my cylinder back from "Kustom Kraft" I had them do a big bore kit to 301 cc's. I can't wait to get together and out in the desert. The suspension is going to get reconditioned both front and back as well.
Thanks again for the input everyone.

Hawkeye
thats cool,your kx will go hard!!,i bet you have plenty of places to ride in vegas?with all that desert,im from new zealand and as we speak im of to get the kx out for a ride,goodluck with your bike

·
When in doubt gas it!!!
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks dude! Have great ride! I wish mine was ready to go too. It will be soon though. Catch ya later.

Hawkeye

1 - 10 of 10 Posts