Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I also want a new seat for my Meanie. The stock one is ok but a little lacking iun the passenger area. I was thinking about a two-piece, so I could run solo unless I wanna take the gal for a ride. I was looking at the Mustang, and Saddleman two piece seats but I am concerned that they might push me too far forward. I am rather tall, and want all the legroom I can get.
Any ideas out there in Kawy Land?
And a Merry Christmas to all of you as well.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
For one more seat option try Corbin http://www.corbin.com/kawasaki/vmenu.shtml

If you need more leg room, you can always install aftermarket forward control (more money of course).

If you want to tackle a project, you can make you own seat pan using fiberglass gel which can be purchased from any auto store. I made my own seat pan for my ZRX1200 after modifying the frame, and took it to an auto upholstery place to have it padded - it came out very nice.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I tried the Mustang ... ended up selling it and going with a Corbin. Rider fitment is pretty close to the stock saddle, but Corbin may be able to custom fit it to you ... I still think they make the best saddle, had 'em on 3 of 4 Beemers and a Yamaha.

·
R.I.P. Deron Harden
2,698 Posts
tschrnr said:
I tried the Mustang ... ended up selling it and going with a Corbin. Rider fitment is pretty close to the stock saddle, but Corbin may be able to custom fit it to you ... I still think they make the best saddle, had 'em on 3 of 4 Beemers and a Yamaha.

Why did you get rid of the Mustang?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am new to the forum, while still eagerly awaiting the best Kawasaki workshop here in Melbourne, Oz, to finish the customizing of my new Meanie, I commented on the pretty flimsy, for passenger at least seat. I was then promptly told the bike is sold with TWO seats. A normal lean Meanie seat and a much better padded seat for the passenger. MOST dealers keep the second seat and sell it off later ! It comes as standard equipment ….. ASK your dealer for both seats when you take delivery of a Meanie. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oz,

I don't know if Kawasaki markets the bike any differently in Australia, but I've never heard of a second seat being included in the US. Kawasaki does make some optional seats for Mean Streak that include more substantial accomodations for the passenger, but those are not free. The cost is at least a few hundred US dollars, depending on the model you choose.

btreaves, who contributes frequently to this board, reports being very satisfied with the upgraded seat, and I'm considering getting it too. The Mustang appears to be extremely comfortable, but to me the height of the seat just doesn't flow as well with the lines of the Mean Streak as the Kawasaki optional seats do.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have the Mustang 2 peice seat. I think it sits a little lower for the driver and higher for the passenger than the stock seat. It is much more comfortable than the stock seat. the back pillion is very easy and fast to take off or put on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Saddlemen seats (at least the solo w/pass. pilon) are not available for the MS. I called, wanted to order one, was told they're being re-designed no date on when they'll be available. If you want a two piece, the mustang is the only option right now. Short of having a custom one made.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I, too, have the Mustang two piece saddle on my Mean Streak. I find it far more comfortable than the stock unit and my wife likes the passenger pillion much better than the stock seat. I also installed the MC Enterprises backrest for my favorite passenger and she feels alot more safe and comfortable!

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Ozmeanie, BFC and Green Meany rider,

Welcome to the forum. Don't know if you have been welcomed or not.....haven't seen you'all on the forum before.

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year.

Heather

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I too have the 3pc Mustang seat with driver backrest...very comfy. Passenger seat is good also...much better than stock.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The Mustang was too straight for my back side. It was a great improvement for the passenger though. Never tried one before and a lot of people are happy with them. I thought the quality was 1st rate. The Corbin just seems a better fit for me.

·
Registered
403 Posts
p.s. I got the Corbin backrest, which can be used by either the rider or passenger ... or removed completely.

I tried a sissy bar and didn't like how it looked on the MS ... with the Corbin, I can keep the original lines of the MS, yet have a backrest for the occaisional passenger.

·
Registered
67 Posts
kyhick1 said:
Ozmeanie, BFC and Green Meany rider,

Welcome to the forum. Don't know if you have been welcomed or not.....haven't seen you'all on the forum before.

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and will have a Happy New Year.

Heather
Been around a while, just don't post much! but I'll take a Hello from a biker chick anyday...... ;-) Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
i got the mustang 2 pc and run it solo unless the wife wants to go i didn't like it as well at first but the more i ride the better i like it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I also have the 2pc Mustang seat. It was hard to imagine the difference it makes just from reading about how happy and comfortable other people are with it. But know that I have about 2K+ miles on it, I must say, I just Love it. It was a bit hard at first, but now it is soft and very comfy. I have not tried the Corbin so I can't compare. I ride solo most of the time and just add the passenger seat when needed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I imported the Mustang to Oz for my meanie - love it!Not as well suited to the lines of the bike-I reckon it is one 2 piece setup that looks better as a 2 piece than just the solo.
My better half loves her new pillion position - higher,and much more supportive.
Excellent quality seat.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the response. Does the Mustang 2 piece push any of you further forward than the stock seat?
I am 6'2" and kinda want to stay back as much as I can. I am also going to have to purchase forward controls since the stock controls are a little cramped for me.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone tried the Granucci italitan seat for a Mean Streak? They sure look good but I wonder about the comfort.

·
R.I.P. Deron Harden
2,698 Posts
I didnt think Granucci made one for the Meanie......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts