Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently got a 1990 600R. The bike is perfect except for a wobble at 45 MPH only. I just had the front wheel balanced thinking it was that. but, it the wobble is still there. if I let go of the bars at 45 MPH, it will start to shake side to side pretty good.

The tires I know are several years old, and the bike was stored for a couple years prior to buying it. The front tire does not appear to be chopped or out of round. The tires are Metzlers, and look new because the bike was not rode much, since the tires were put on.

So now I am left with the delema of trying to figure out if its the tire causing this wobble, or steering stem bearings??

I do not feel anything loose in the front end, over bumps or otherwise. IT feels nice and tight. No play in the stem, that I can feel.

So given this; do any of you guys have any suggestions of how I should proceed? Front tire Vs. Stem bearings. Thats about what I am left with.

Gamble,a nd replace the front tire?

Install new stem bearings? If so, are these pretty straightforward to install?

I really would appreciate your input!

Eric

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I had this exact same problem with my 500R, tire looked good and all, put new tires on it and suddenly I had no more wobble.

the bearings are a possibility though, not a bad idea to change them out anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the steering stem bearings appear to be quite a bit of work to change, not difficult for me, but quite a bit of stuff to take apart fromt he front of the bike.
Someone else told me to check the pinch bolts for the triple tree, so I will check those............

can you guys recommend some tires for this bike, if I go this route?

Thanks Freakinout

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
front 110/90 v16 Metzler Lazer
rear 130/90 16 ME 99 Metzler

Thats whats on it now, they were new in 1999

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I did some more investigation............I took off the top of the triple tree, and the center nut, and got at the spanner nut. I was able to almost put a full turn on it. I still could have gone more, but I stopped and decided to try it and it was much improved. still a tiny bit, so I may see if I can get another 1/4 turn on it.
But I would have to say that it was a little loose

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Do a 1/4 turn and make sure you can go from lock to lock on the steering. If you can't back it up a little. You found the problem which is loose stem nut.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks 1 ADam12.....can you recommend some tires for this little beast??

It goes lock to lock fine now after the adjustment, but the steering is noticibly stiffer, (which is fine, and better for me IMHO). It just doesnt go quite a freely as before when the front tire was off the ground, like on the centerstand. I am thinking another 1/4 turn of so may completely cure the problem.

I will tighten it a little more in the morning, and see if that eliminates it. Its actually not bad now, it will shake just slightly at about 50-55 MPH on deceleration if you pull both hands off the bars. (some of that may be normal depending on road conditions).

Now I just realized I have to get the radiator repaired, the lower tube, (kickstand side), that goes via hose tot he water pump is slightly seeping, not enough to have to add coolant every couple days, but enough that I can see it on the tube. I think I can get away with still riding it this season, and fixing it this fall. At $500 for a new radiator, I will attempt to fix this one :)

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I ran Dunlop (OEM) and Bridgestone Battleaxes on my 86 600r when I had it and was really happy. The Dunlops seemed not as sticky as the Bridgestones though. I tried out some Metzelers on my 900 Ninja and I am happy with them, but when they wear down I'm gonna try out the Bridgestones again. The new 250 I'm getting is getting Bridgestones unless I find something else I like better.

Is your front and rear 17" If so, you'll have way better tire choices. I don't remember which year it changed. Diablos, Pilots etc.

PS. Your steering should not be so tight that it doesn't move freely from lock to lock. Back out just a little if that is the case and check again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yaa well thats the problem.............this bike has 16's on it. So I am limited on what I can get. Ill see if the Battleaxe is avail.

well the only reason it doesnt move like glass, lock to lock, is that the cables seem to rub somewhere. Ill have to take a closer look. Almost need 2 people to check it, so you can get the front tire off the ground. Or jack it from underneith.

If it has 110/90/16 front, and 130/90/16 rear, do you think a 120/80/16 front, and a 150/80/16 rear would fit?

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts