Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my luck always goes, I was in the process of selling my 1997 Ninja 250 and the dang thing won't start. For one, the battery is dead but I put a charger on there for starting purposes. Before I go on I should add a few things that I noticed and that happened which were very strange. For some odd reason, the tachometer was reading 7,000-8,000 rpm when I turned the key to the on position which has never happened to me before. I have no clue what is going on there, any ideas? Also, at another point during this fiasco, the turn signal switch was messed with just a tiny bit and the right blinker started flashing everytime I cranked the engine. It almost seemed like it was flashing with the rotation of the engine and not at its normal rate. I messed with the switch a little trying to put it back in its normal position and the problem stopped.

Now on to the trouble. At first I figured it was bad gas since it was sitting for a long time. I drained the carbs using the little drain screw on the bottom of each carb. Nasty gas did come out and after that the good gas so I closed them back up. Once I did that I figured it would start right up... nope. I had the charger set at 40 amps and there were a few things I noticed. One was, when the choke is on the engine sounded like it had a very difficult time cranking. The second was it didn't act like it wanted to start at all at that 40 amps. I turned the charger up to 200 amps (I know... starter killer. I was careful) and it would act like it wanted start. It would fire once or twice but not actually start up and then stop firing. It would do this a few times but would never start up. I pulled the left cylinder plug and it looked as if it were brand new (silver and everything). I smelled gas on it so it definitely seemed like it wasn't firing. I put the plug in the wire and held it to the engine to see if I could get a spark and there was nothing... Could that just be from gas being on it or is it something worse like the coil, wiring, or stator (seem to be having a lot of stator trouble with various things lately, i hope that's not it).

Like I said, I was trying to sell this but this crap happened so any help would be extremely appreciated. Many, many thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another thing that i noticed that i can't seem to remember... when you have the key turned to the on position and you attempt turning the turn signals on will they flash with the key in the on position and the engine off or does the engine have to run? if they are supposed to blink even with the engine off i'm almost wondering if something like a mouse got in the bike somewhere and started chewing on wires or something. i might just have to take everything apart if that's the case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.