Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 1700 Classic LT. The saddle bags offer some pretty limited storage. Is there some type of bag that I can strap to the rear backrest to give me some additional storage for road trips this summer?

I do not have a luggage rack on the bike to support anything real heavy. What can you guys suggest? Thanks.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Depends on what you're looking to do. If you have a passenger, check out a sissy-bar mounted T-Bag. Is it's just you, Crysti and I picked up one of these last Summer. I just put it on the back of my bike and she used her saddle bags. LOTS of storage and it's easy to put on and off. I did have a strap break on the way down (MANY things went wrong on that trip), but they replaced it no questions asked and haven't had any more issues.

Saddlemen Motorcycle Seats, Luggage and Accessories

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
I've purchased a couple things from NewEnough.com. Best prices and selection of sizes and styles I could find.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas so far. Heres pics of the bike. I have added the hiway bars since these were taken.

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
And of course Wally World has a sissy bar bag in their stores. I couldn't find it online but they also have a seat bag.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I use the Kuryakyn tombstone bag and I love it.It straps to your sissy bar and doubles as a backrest.It comes with 3 different zip on pads of various thicknesses and is easy to remove.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I bought the Kuryakyn GranTailgater for my trip to the '09 Reno Rally. It looked a little large on the bike (my brother purchased a GranTour for the same trip), but had plenty of room for my stuff. I had clothes left over and even took my laptop. Here is a link:

Küryakyn - Metric - GranTailgater Bag

By the way, the bag never moved when riding and I hardly felt it during the ride. Like I said, it was full!

Since Reno, I purchased this Saddlemen bag (BR3400). It is basically the same size as the Kury GranTour bag, but has a better layout IMHO:

Saddlemen Motorcycle Seats, Luggage and Accessories

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey Bryan, I've looked at Kuryakyn's bags and they look good (though spendy, which may or may not be worth it). What's your opinion on their quality? They one that'll last a lifetime?

You said for the Saddlemen bag you liked the layout better and it was about the same size, how's the quality on that one? same, better, worse?

Any other differences b/w the 2 to point out? Thanks a lot

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I haven't had the bags long enough that I could speak to the longevity. I bought a tailbag last year from Motopak (.:: Welcome to motopakluggage.com - Premium sportbike and cruiser luggage bags ::.) and loved it, but in the last year it has faded badly.

I haven't been on a long trip with my Saddlemen bag yet, but the Kury bag sagged 'around' my luggage rack slightly. I fixed it with a metal strap between the small 'footrests' when I got home from Reno. I see Kury has a new product to address this syndrome. It is basically a plate (about $50) that goes between your existing luggage rack and a larger bag that may try to 'wrap' around the rack.

As far as quality, I think the Kury and Saddlemen are both spendy, but of good quality. BTW my GranTailgater came with two small folding chairs and a folding ice chest! They also have an option for speakers! It's definately a 'Cadillac' bag!

I ordered the Saddlemen bag before Reno as it was my first choice, but it was so new it wasn't available until the week after I got back. Figures. The Saddlemen bag has a place for a laptop where the smaller Kury (GranTour) bag does not (hence why I purchased the Tailgater). When I am away for more than two days, I need my laptop!

·
Bug Killer Extraordinaire
490 Posts
I've had 2 different T-Bags and have had real good luck with both.
the current one is T-BAGS® TAHOE :: Detail

its exapandable and allows for an additional roll bag, attached to the top
I've had 3 12packs and assorted groceries filling it

·
Patriot Guard Rider
967 Posts
Here is a pic of my Saddlemen Fastback to give you an idea of what it looks like on the bike. One of my friends has the Large model and it just looks too big on his 1300. The medium is nice for a one or two nighter but I have the Saddlemen roll bag that attaches to the top for longer trips. I've used this bag on 3 3-4 day trips and a couple of weekenders and no quality issues as of yet. Actually use it if I'm just going on a long day trip for the back support. Throw in one really loaded with my tent and everything for a mountain trip, it shows the roll bag on top of the Fastback.

Charles

Attachments

·
Long live the V2K!
593 Posts
I've got the Kury "Ultra Tour" bag that I'm very happy with. It can sit behind your sissy bar on a luggage rack or turned around it can sit on the pax seat. It's pretty big and has expandable zipper side pouches. I've used it for quite a few long trips and it's worked great every time. Here's a pic with it mounted on the pax seat:

·
Waiting out the WI winter
801 Posts
I say get a luggage rack, it'll look good on your classic anyway and then you can strap pretty much any sort of bag back there and have loads of room. I use a nelson riggs bag and really like it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts