Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there all, got my 1980 KZ 750 here and I need to replace the seat. Does anyone know of any good seats that will work for this bike? Preferably a tw person seat. Thanks

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
If the seat base is okay, take it to an upholstery shop and have it redone with new foam and cover.
Memory foam rocks, and you can have it custom made to whatever is best for you.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
Memory foam rocks, and you can have it custom made to whatever is best for you.
Do most shops carry that or have access to getting it? I've been trying to find a gel insert to have put in mine when I get it recovered but hadn't heard of or thought about memory foam for a bike seat before this.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Do most shops carry that or have access to getting it? I've been trying to find a gel insert to have put in mine when I get it recovered but hadn't heard of or thought about memory foam for a bike seat before this.
Any decent upholstery shop should carry it in a few different densities, and it can be layered for you if you wish.
I prefer really dense on say the bottom 70% of the foam, and a slightly less dense memory foam on the top 30% or so.
I also like a middle ground as far as sliding on or no sliding at all of the covering.

Call a shop or 2 or 3 in your area, and ask them if they do bike seats.

If yes, ask if they can do it to your specs, and I am betting you will find a shop more than glad to help you.

I know of at least 3 shops in my town alone that can do great bike seat work.

And its way cheaper than those seats so many buy from supposed seat makers like corbin etc. that are whatever they feel like making, and are generally not nearly as good as a custom seat, and yet cost 3 times as much.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
I actually stopped by a local upholstery shop today to get a piece to cover my seat as it is too far gone. I have known the shop owner for years and he let me have it for about his cost which was 5 bucks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't suppose anyone has an extra seat pan for a 80 KZ 750 G? All this talk of memory foam has me quite interested. I cant use a stock seat as it is since I chopped a bit off the back end. And the battery box is in a different spot. Man I gotta find my camera, its kinda hard to explain.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not quite sure, the old seat pan was rusted up pretty bad and has been lost for a while now. My biker mentor is the one helping me work on it and he was the one who moved the battery box. I doubt he would have put it somewhere that would screw something up. At least not on purpose.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, 76-80 seats interchange, but anything newer won't fit. I had a 1980 750G stepped seat on my 79 for awhile, but I replaced it with the flat seat from a 76-79.
So a 76-79 is a flat seat, thats a good start for what I need. Do you know if the seat pan is metal? I am guessing it would be if it was from the same line of bikes

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ooooo... good to know. My build mentor over here just had to give up a build he was starting due to general brokeness, so we are gonna see if the seat he was working on will be usable. I am not getting my hopes up too high, since the bike he was working on was a honda cb 550, and our tastes in motorcycle styling tend to vary. Plus, it would be easier to customize from the pan up.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.