Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got a Bayou 300 4x4 and am having all the carb issues as everyone else. I'm done with it ( the carb). Any suggestions as a new carb? My only issue is it needs to run at various elevations ( 100' - 6000') without too many headaches. I have a 86' Honda 185 ATC "stock". Never had any issues with it running any different whether it's at home or at the cabin. Bayou has issues at home and won't hardly start at cabin, let alone run.:confused:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The reality of modern ATV carburetors is that they are pretty much all the same, and require the same steps to properly tune. The biggest difference is that Mikuni still uses replaceable float valve seats, and therefore have a longer life by being completely rebuildable if people do not use good fuel preservatives in the off season.

That said, I would go to Mikuni's website and select a carburetor from their application listing, and be prepared to re-jet to fit your use.

I avoid used carburetors unless I am looking for a core to rebuild, as most used carburetors are on the market for a reason and by the time you fix the problems you will be into them for the price of a new unit.

For people that are not able to rebuild or properly tune a carburetor, I recommend they simply replace the old unit with a new one from the ATV manufacturer, and then use a good fuel preservative to avoid destroying the carb the first winter of setting around.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts