Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
I have a downloaded manual, but wanted the confirm the valve clearances...

What is the Intake/Exhaust clearance for a 1979 KZ 1000 ST ?

If I recall correctly, .005 to .015 for both intake and exhaust....
Close! Its 0.05mm-0.15mm! Too many zeros,lol...Intake and exhaust are the same!

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Thanks !!!

And thanks for pointing out the "units" ( mm).... I was thinking "inches" not millimiters !
Glad to help! Its good practice to stick with metric on metric machinery and never mind the inch equivalents! PS, Thats an "ST" like yours in my avatar!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very Cool Bike ! Looks strikingly similar to mine :) but yours is definitely cleaner.... Also noticed that you have the "Mark II" side covers on your bike...

I Will try to take some pictures, and update my profile with them soon....

And will post an update with the findings....

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Very Cool Bike ! Looks strikingly similar to mine :) but yours is definitely cleaner.... Also noticed that you have the "Mark II" side covers on your bike...

I Will try to take some pictures, and update my profile with them soon....

And will post an update with the findings....
Thank you Lonestar! I added the MKIIs to the side covers because the 79 and 80 STs are MKIIs with two critical changes. The "STs" are shaft driven and only the STs were fitted with the duel spring 40mm front forks! These were "state of the art" options in 79 and 80 and were only given to the 1300s for the necessary added control and stability! You might notice Ive added a chrome Z1 rear fender, it lends to the "old school muscle bike" look I was after and hold so dear! PS. These STs are fitted with "detuned" 1015 MKII engines and will "scream" if theyre set up and tuned correctly!

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
wow! Lots of good info... mine is a 1979... I am really curious about "tunning" it now... what is involved ?
Whoooo easy there Big. Your looking at Pipes,Jet Kit,intakes and tools,manuals,and alot of patients to make that 1015 rock! LOL, and at least a $1000 including a pizzed off wife/or girlfriend because that bike will take "ALL" of your time and money and "she" aint going to like that! LOL! Still want to "wake" that "bad girl" up?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL... well, you know what they say... "Knowledge is Power", so it won't hurt to know how it's done :)

As far as the wife being pizzed off... she ALREADY IS !!! For spending all my time on my bikes, and toys ( just acquired a honda ATC yesterday, which is adding to my already booked scheuule for wrenching...

·
Old School Z-1 Tweaker
21 Posts
Hey Lonestar
Where in so cal do you live ?
I'm in Huntington Beach and have been tweeking my 1973 Z-1, since I got it in 1974.
Let me know if I can lend a hand or just stop by and see what your up to

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
LOL... well, you know what they say... "Knowledge is Power", so it won't hurt to know how it's done :)

As far as the wife being pizzed off... she ALREADY IS !!! For spending all my time on my bikes, and toys ( just acquired a honda ATC yesterday, which is adding to my already booked scheuule for wrenching...
The first step is right where your at getting those valve clearances correct. Do keep us updated on your findings because if you have any tight valves your going to need the $60 dollar tool made by Kawasaki for kawasaki's, the part number is, 57001-113 and can be had at Z1-Enterprises along with the shims you may need. As long as you have at least 0.05mm of clearance between the cam lobe and the shim your good to go, anything less youll need to swap shims to get in the 0.10mm range! Again, keep us updated. And hey, Ive found that a Bouquet of flowers goes a long way in smoothing ruffled feathers when its tool time! LOL! Good Luck!

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
I would avoid the lower end of the clearance range. I tend to set my own bikes as close to .10mm as possible - and will always go wide rather than tight.

With this valve/cam arrangement, the clearances reduce with wear. The valve/valve seat wear much faster than the cam lobe and shim. So if you set the clearances at .05mm, the next time you check them, you'll be way too tight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.