Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you might remember: My neighbor is 72 years old and is now tired of his Yammy FJR (too much time forward on his wrists and forearms). We went looking yesterday.

He wore a pair of hiking boots, which always seem to come with and additional two feet of lace. Big loops, did not tuck them in. We stopped in the parking lot and he discovered that the loop from his right boot had snagged the brake pedal. As I got off my bike, he began leaning to the left and immediately began jerking his right leg to free it, to no avail. He leaned too far left and went down in the parking lot.

He was more embarrassed than anything. We windowshopped there and one other dealer before returning home. He isn't limping, but, hey, he is 72.

Guys, wear the right gear...and keep those boot laces out of the way. In the Army, we always tucked them in at the top of our boots, and I have continued doing that, even 40+ years later. But, my riding boots are tall enough that the loop would never reach a peg regardless.

Be careful.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Some gal at my work told me that her friend crashed his sport bike and was badly injured, and the reason for the crash was his laces getting somehow hung up on the pegs or something like that.. I can understand what happened to this 72 year old.. but I dont see how getting a lace caught on a peg cause you to go down while riding.. am I missing something?

·
Registered
466 Posts
sometime ago I was pulling into a motorcycle dealers parking lot. It is on an incline, made a u turn went to put my foot down and the next thing I know the bike was going over. I could not stop it. No damage except to my pride. Another patron came over he help me pick the bike up. Not a shoe lace story but it can happen.

·
Actually, EX-CarGuy
595 Posts
Some gal at my work told me that her friend crashed his sport bike and was badly injured, and the reason for the crash was his laces getting somehow hung up on the pegs or something like that.. I can understand what happened to this 72 year old.. but I dont see how getting a lace caught on a peg cause you to go down while riding.. am I missing something?
I think he was stopped and couldn't get his foot off the peg.

·
Serial Sport Rider
638 Posts
Plenty of people do the wrong thing when they realize there's a problem. Guy probably needed to get his foot down, couldn't, and ended up dumping the bike trying to get it unstuck. I got my pants cuff stuck once. ALmost went over at a red light. I don't have those pants anymore. Well, actually I do, but they're shorts now...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I always double knot my laces if wearing my shoe laced boots. I also have a pair of black boots with zippers on the side, but that is only for summer riding. Thanks for the heads up. It can happen to me as well and I better pay attention to my shoelaces....ride safe :).

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I always double knot my laces if wearing my shoe laced boots.
That could actually work against you. If your lace loop gets caught around something, if they're double knotted you cant simply pull hard to slip the loop. Safest option would be to tuck the loops as previously mentioned.

·
Ed Scott - Old-Time Biker
1,183 Posts
I wear boots that have motocross-type adjustable clamps to set the snugness and then a zip up the inside of the leg. I hate laces anyway, mainly laziness.

Hasn't saved me from eventually dropping every bike I've ever owned though, just doesn't attach me to it while it goes over.

·
Registered
887 Posts
This type of boot fixes the "problem.

+++1 Boots and long pants or I don't ride I've seen the results if you don't, One guy I knew got his lace caught in the chain, by the time it was free his ankle was broken, Another friend dropped his dirt bike wearing shorts, 2nd and 3rd degree burns to his leg.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I make random rides down to Florida and am constantly amazed at the number of riders I see wearing shorts and a tee shirt. I have also seen them wearing flip-flop style shoes (or whatever they are called now). I went down a time or two many years ago when I was much younger and living in CA. I never want to have to go through that sort of heaing process again.

·
TV Guru
11,773 Posts
I had my left lace snag on the peg once myself. I quickly leaned a bit to the right so I could ensure I wouldn't go over with just my right foot down. A little shake of my left leg and it came loose.

That could actually work against you. If your lace loop gets caught around something, if they're double knotted you cant simply pull hard to slip the loop. Safest option would be to tuck the loops as previously mentioned.
In my case, I double knot my laces to shorten the loops. By doing that, they aren't large and round enough to snag on anything. I've actually sat on the bike and deliberately tried to hook one around a peg, but the slack is just little enough it won't quite go. Even better, the loops mostly get covered up by my pant legs now. I also leave the loops a bit shorter so I have more length on the non-loop end. The tips go down to almost the tops of the soles, but the loops are small. Double knotting also keeps them from coming untied.

That being said, I do mostly tuck the laces in, but got into the habit of tying them the way I do just in case I hop on the bike and don't do it. I don't like to tuck them in if I don't have to since it makes for more fuss when I untie them later.

Personally, I think most boots come with laces that are far too long. I had a pair of hiking boots years ago that I bought shorter laces for since the loops on the original laces were big enough to put the toe of the opposite boot through. Ridiculous. It's like they only had one size of lace for the entire line: XXXL.

I often consider the idea of motorcycle boots that either aren't lace-ups or have covers but I wear my boots as my regular footwear. The problem is, a lot of "real" riding boots aren't comfortable for a lot of walking around. The ones I have a great for that.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Some times it is not only a lace problem. I remember once i got new boots with thicker soles and aggressive threads, i went to get something and in the parking lot of the shoping center, i was going slow, shifted down to first gear, and when stoped i put the bike in neutral, right away i leaned left and proceded to kick out the stand. My boots stayed stucked between the peg and the shifter, and whaam i went down on my left side, in front of a few ppl. Man what an ego bruize.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,862 Posts
Never snagged laces as I wear the side-zip boots, but have had the jeans catch on the brake pedal. Yes, that'll make ya go "Ack!!"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.