Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from my second ride of the season. :D

But ...

I was starting up from a T intersection, turning right and going uphill. I was in first and up to, oh, perhaps 20 miles an hour, about ready for second ... when POP! She dropped into neutral on her own. :confused:

It was a quite startling. I was lucky my husband had left enough room behind me that he didn't run his Nomad up my tail while I recovered.

I've had the bike a year, and it has a shade under 3,000 miles on it, all trouble-free until this.

Are 1500 Classics known for this? Should I be off to my dealer to have it looked into? Get my clutch fluid changed or something? Or am I being a worry-wart?

·
WitnessProtectionReject
62 Posts
Everybody's done it--most every bike has done it. I've done it by resting my foot (heal) on the shifter
inadvertently. Gives you quite a start; or stop as it turns out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My V-900 Classic does it when I do not tap the heel shifter hard enuff. Sounds like it goes in but once I turn the throttle.. "pop" it goes into neutral... just a lazy shift is my problem 100% of the time.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
+3 (agreeing with the others)

Every time my 900LT popped into neutral "by itself," I found that my big foot was covering the heel shifter just a bit and I was unintentionally popping it from first into neutral. It only takes a few pounds of pressure, and your heel will do that without your brain knowing about it. ESPECIALLY if the road gets a bit bouncy....

·
Live, Laugh, Ride
651 Posts
My 2007 1500 does the same thing. I found that if I get up some speed it will shift into second better (still have to hit it pretty good) than at slower speeds. I think it is common due to the neutral find. I am no mechanic so maybe it is something that can be adjusted?? If you can please post results because it is the only thing bad about the bike. I am due a service soon so I will bring it up when I take it in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My 900 does it also. I adjusted the shifter so the heel was up one notch higher. In that new position it was too high, so I put it back the way it was. Not a big deal, If I don't like the way it shifts with the heel I can just wear out my boot on the toe shifter.

The Suzuki I had was much better for shifting, up with the heel and down with the toe.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, everyone.

Not going to kid you -- it scared the crap out of me when it happened. I'm very relieved to know it doesn't mean some kind of failure. In retrospect my boot heel could well have been inadvertently resting on the shifter; the floor boards on the 1500 are further forward than I like.

By the way, otrp1, I also had a Suzuki (Boulevard C50) -- and it never pulled a trick like this on me.

Cordially,
Chris

·
Registered
237 Posts
As seated, under the left side of the engine is a rod and bell crank assembly, exposed to weather, ie: rain water and puddles.

Bell crank ends are a ball and socket, and need oil on occasions. I am willing to bet you have never lubed these since you can't see em..

Get hubby dirty, err, no I mean get him to lay down and see these with a oil can in his hand... :D

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I find that you just need to shift from 1st to 2nd with a little more umph than going from 2-3, 3-4 etc., to make sure you get 2nd fully engaged.

I adjusted the heel shifter up a bit from where it was stock on our 1500, so you can't accidently slide your foot back and pop it out of gear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My V-900 Classic does it when I do not tap the heel shifter hard enuff. Sounds like it goes in but once I turn the throttle.. "pop" it goes into neutral... just a lazy shift is my problem 100% of the time.
My 900 Classic does the same thing. I think it's mainly me resting on the heel shifter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts