Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new to this forum & just wanted to drop in & say hi & ask a few questions. I just purchased a new 2004 VN1500 Classic (black & red), beautiful bike!! So far I have only put in 28 miles as I drove her home. I plan on following the manufacturer recommended break-in schedule, i know its a hotly debated topic :) Anyways, any tips & info on this bike are welcome.
Since this is my first cruiser, I'm kinda going anal over wanting to keep it clean & in showroom "gleaming" condition. Any tips on what cleaners you folks use? The manual just calls for washing with water & auto safe detergent & then drying with soft cloth & waxing. Is there a safe spray I could use with cotton cloth for quick cleans & dusting so I don't have to wash it every other day? What chrome polish do you recommend, and does it matter between brands? Also, I need to purchase a dust cover (right now I'm just using cotton bedsheets) but was worried that the ones from the catalogs might end up scratching the bike. Any recommendations on a decent dust cover would be highly appreciated, Dennis Kirk have a Dowco brand and Nelson-Rigg. Any preferences?? Thanks & ride safe!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome koboco :wink:

glad to have another vulcan rider on board!

as far as cleaning,i use nothing but windex and a usa cotton towel to clean all the chrome
don't bother waxing anything that gets hot -it just burns off
i use flitz or excites metal polish if i have to poilsh anything but not very often as i clean the bike every time i ride.covers,i use the same thing you do cotton bed sheets :lol:
for in between touch ups i use meguiars quick spray wax on the tank/fenders-works great

ride safe!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm sure all my old wing habits will carry over to the Nomad. I use a waterless cleaner (can't remember the name right now, but canget it for you if you want it) in a pump spray bottle, with terry cloth towels. Works great and not messy like a hose and bucket. Another good trick for all that surface dust is a California Dash Duster. It's the small version of the Car Duster that they use at car shows. It's just the right size for bikes and works GREAT. You can get them at Walmart, and I suppose other places. You can store it in the package it comes in if you cut it open where the handle sticks out. Just cut it enough to get the duster out and then it will slide back in when you're done. Then stash it in your hardbag (if you have a Nomad) so you can give it a quick once over when you reach your destination :wink:
Sheets make good covers... 8)

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Congrats on your new ride, you and I share the same bike. I've had ZERO troubles with mine so far (1600 miles plus change) and hope that holds true.

·
Registered
837 Posts
8) yesss...i have the same scoot and color as well.have 3300 miles on it with no trouble.bought it in october i think. i use that new mr clean spray and dry you buy at wal mart.spray and clean off any nasty stuff with the soap that comes with it then flip over to the filters and rinse off with filtered water..let dry by itself..no need to put a rag on it..it dryes with no spots.for quick minor cleaning ..i use mcguires mist and wipe...it works real good as well.have a dowco cover too because when i go to work..i stay gone anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks and it helps keep the dust off the bike.on my corbin seat..i use armour-all soft leather cleaner and conditioner..i think its armour-all anyway.ride safe.......... :wink:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input folks, really useful :D
I really like the idea of a spray bottle & terry towels, anything to avoid bucket of water and soap. If you remember the name of the waterless cleaner that would be great x-wing. Regular windex on chrome sounds easy and convenient too, i like that.
Another question for the 1500 owners, what grade fuel does the bike best run on? I've been using just regular 87 ( manual calls out minimum 87), so i might try 91 to see if theres any difference, but with gas prices on rise i'd rather stick to 87!
Again, thanks a lot and enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry for the delay, dude. Here is the info on the waterless.... I got it a rally here in Wisconsin, don't know how widely available it is. The guy said I could buy direct, I guess you could get a phone number from information. Then again, maybe it's just too much hassle to persue....

Aero Cosmetics is the brand.
Wash Wax ALL is the product name.
water based, petroleumfree, clear coat safe, non-abrasive, non-corrosive
cleans and protects all surfaces and windows
wet or dry

made by:
Sharky's Detailing Products, LLC
6528 Range Line Rd.
Manitowoc, Wi

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would like to add that microfibre cloths are awesome. They are softer, more absorbant than terry cloth and chamois, and you can actually wipe dust off your bike with them without scratching paint or chrome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
High Octane Rating

G'day Folks from Down Under,
I cruise the net came across your board and squizzed around. Saw this post on your site, re fuel and the price and the savings you wanna make by usining lower octane rating. The cents are not worth it. Use the best possible fuel with the highest octane rating. You just purchased a nice machine, and the dollars spent already justify the the extra few shillings a year in fuel costs.
When it comes to my cruiser 2000 VN 1500 Classic FI it gets only the best. Runs like new, looks like new.
Take care have a good one, and treat her real nice. She is worth it :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts