Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1990 EX500 a few days ago assuming it would make a good starter bike seeing how I've never ridden before. I was told it only needed new spark plugs and it would start right up. Unfortunately, it seems to need a bit more than that.

I've been looking through bikebandit.com trying to locate what pieces I need to replace, but I'm having some trouble with the pictures. I'll try to describe which parts I'm missing as best I can.
  • I currently have 2 thumbscrews from the lower cowling of the bike. The thicker bolt pins the bike to the side near the bottom of the lower cowling. The other, thinner one, goes goes up through the lower cowling, into the upper cowling, and attackes to a metal piece on the side of the fuel tank. I need a pair of the same 2 bolts for the other side of the bike.
  • Now speaking of the lower cowling, there are two holes on each side on the top edges. One is for the bolt I just mentioned, but what about the other? You can see two holes at the base of this upper cowling picture, but they're missing on the lower cowling picture.
  • I'm missing the bolt underneath the seat that holds the fuse box to the frame.
  • There are 2 plastic pins near the rear of the side cover that snap into rubber pieces to hold it to the bike. Those are broken off and in order to replace those, it looks like I need to replace the entire side cover. What suggestions do you have for rigging up a replacement?
  • Lastly, the toolset and owner's manual did not come with the bike. The owner's manual I will try to get through a dealer and the toolkit I'll try to get from ebay to save some money. Are most Kawasaki toolkits the same? What toolkits, if any, will contain the same tools for my bike?
As you can see, the bike needs a fair amount of work, but nothing too serious, just a bunch of bolts and pins. I would greatly appreciate any assistance. I'm getting very anxious to ride the bike, but I want to get it all together before I do.

By the way, after replacing the plugs I tried to start it and it just buzzed at me. The battery is probably dead, or a friend said maybe a stuck starter. I'll have to look into those tomorrow also.

I can pull out my digital camera tomorrow if you need any pics of the parts in question.

Thanks,
Stephen

·
Registered
429 Posts
I would get the manual off from ebay as well to save some money. Also there are sometimes people parting out bikes on ebay. Email them and they will sometimes have the screws/bolts you need.

·
Registered
27 Posts
sorry dude i did the same thang, have payed about 1200.00 in parts already then paying 1200.00 for bike ive done every thing but split motor as of yestrday

1 - 4 of 4 Posts