Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I recently traded my sv1000 on a vn 900 lt (Decided comfort is more important than speed). The bike is great and I really enjoy it but there are a few small things.

The worst is the windscreen buffeting, I've played with the height adjustment but doesn't seem to make much difference. I took it off altogether but then I find myself hanging on to the bars for dear life. I've read a bit about lowers and might have to try some.

I also noticed a vibration occouring at about 115 kmph, is this normal? Bike only done 600km.

I find im scraping the floorboards a bit in the tight corners but I guess this is just know how far the bike can lean.

All that aside the bike is great to ride, can't wait to open her up a bit. Find myself taking the long way home on every ride. I couldn't wait to get off my old bike as it was so uncomfortable. I could only handle the sv for 50 to 60 minutes absolute max. Rode vn for 3 hours other day and couldve kept going. Fantasic!!!:p :p

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hello All,

The worst is the windscreen buffeting, I've played with the height adjustment but doesn't seem to make much difference. I took it off altogether but then I find myself hanging on to the bars for dear life. I've read a bit about lowers and might have to try some.

I also noticed a vibration occouring at about 115 kmph, is this normal? Bike only done 600km.

I find im scraping the floorboards a bit in the tight corners but I guess this is just know how far the bike can lean.
Congrats on the new bike! The lowers pretty much solved the problem of buffeting on my 900. You can get an idea of whether it will help by holding your arm across your chest area to see if you can block wind coming from below.

I haven't noticed any vibration on my 900 so I can't say if yours is normal.

I just rolled 8000 miles on mine and still love it as much as I did when I bought it in June. Welcome to the 900 club!

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Hello All,

I recently traded my sv1000 on a vn 900 lt (Decided comfort is more important than speed). The bike is great and I really enjoy it but there are a few small things.

Awesome!!! Congrats! :biggrin:

I don't know about windshields. I've never had the pleasure to ride a bike with one except my dad's 1500. It feels like a sailboat, so I don't like windshields. I've been riding my 900 Custom with no windshield for 5500 miles and I feel just fine up to about 85-90 MPH.

Again, I feel comfortable up to 90 MPH on the 900 and have never felt any vibration. I know that my bike kind of smoothed out a little bit more after 2000 miles.

I've never scraped the pegs on mine. I'm not that aggressive and plus I've never ridden a crotch rocket, so I'm not used to leaning like that anyways. I know that it is fairly normal to scrap floorboards though. I just have never done it and I don't wish to do it.

All that aside the bike is great to ride, can't wait to open her up a bit. Find myself taking the long way home on every ride. I couldn't wait to get off my old bike as it was so uncomfortable. I could only handle the sv for 50 to 60 minutes absolute max. Rode vn for 3 hours other day and couldve kept going. Fantasic!!!:p :p

Ride safe and have fun man!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Hello Perky,
Congrats on your new 900 and welcome to the BTK Forum!
You will find some good info here along with some of the nicest folk you could ask for.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
If you happen to notice vibration in the floorboards, invest in a pair of good m/c boots with Vibram soles and 90% of it will, for the most part, go away.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Lowers might help with the buffeting.
Everything else sounds pretty normal. My 900c started to buzz at about 75/80 mph. Nothing terrible, but I was always aware of it a freeway speed. Your bike should get a bit smoother and happier as it breaks in at around 2000 miles or so.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You definitely want to invest in lowers. The help the buffeting tremendously and look good.

The vibes do happen at around 75 for the first 2000 miles or so. It seems the vibes have backed down for me as the miles on the bike have gone up (currently at around 8500).

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Congrats on your bike!

I don't know if the lt windshield has a slant adjusment, but if it does, play with the slant. I had to slant mine (memphis shades Slim 17") all the way back and almost at full height to get rid of the buffeting. Very nice calm ride now. I can look well over the windshield with no problem, and the wind just flows around my head smoothly, rather then beating it to death like it did when I had it straighter.

I do feel a slight vibration in my feet on the floor boards at higher speeds, but certainly not enough to be distracting, even on long trips.

I also scraped a floor board on a tight curve that progressively got tighter as it went, but that's been the only time, and only slightly, but I don't take curves like someone on a sports bike would.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
... The worst is the windscreen buffeting, I've played with the height adjustment but doesn't seem to make much difference.
I took it off altogether but then I find myself hanging on to the bars for dear life. I've read a bit about lowers and might have to try some.

I have a standard Kawasaki windshield and lowers on my VN900 Classic and get no wind buffeting.

I get noticeable vibration between 153kph and 161kph, but higher than that it smooths out again.

It takes a bit of getting used to the limited lean angle. I have a Z750 too. If I have been using the Zed for a couple of days and then jump on the VN, I end up scraping the footboards on the first couple of bends. It tends to sound worse than it looks.

Amen to that. I have been champing at the bit all week to get out on the VN. But hey, ho. These days, you gotta work when there's work to be done. TGIF :)

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
If you're scraping floorboards, check the scuff-guard things on the bottom of the floorboards.

A lot of them are mounted on the front from the dealer when mounting on the back of the floorboard seems to make more sense.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
If you're scraping floorboards, check the scuff-guard things on the bottom of the floorboards.

A lot of them are mounted on the front from the dealer when mounting on the back of the floorboard seems to make more sense.
The part that scrapes is the back of the floor board, that is correct, but by placing the "scuff-guard" things on the back, that means even less clearance, would it not? Mine are (incorrectly) mounted in front, but haven't moved them to the rear yet for this reason. Someone correct me if my logic is wrong here... perhaps the difference in clearance is negligible and the guard would scrape first by a very small margin (1/16" - 1/8")?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts

You need lowers, you can get em pretty cheap, I think it was around 70-75 bucks from Meancycles. Memphis shields lowers mounting hardware and choose a color of plastic. Put these on my bike this week. Road into 20-30 mph headwind day before yesterday and no helmet vibration for the first time. I can here something clicking in my helmet that I couldn't here before the lowers for the wind noise. No wind coming up under my helmet and stinging my eyes so no more grit coming up and getting in my eyes (only applies to my FF helmet.) It's a cheap fix for your problem there.

About 70 mph you do get to feel the engine vibration. It gets better as the motor breaks in. I have a scootworks front pulley on mine which brings the rpm down 6% and pretty much fixes the speedo error that was 10% on mine. Anyways, when the speedo says 80 I'm doing 78 on my GPS. Anyways, I don't really remember any vibration.

·
Actually, EX-CarGuy
596 Posts
I recently mounted a windshield bag on mine and the buffeting went away almost entirely. Don't fully understand how that could have made a difference but it did, plus, I have a place to store my little things all for $16!!

OH... Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bike. I LOVE MINE!

·
Registered
126 Posts
on my 900LT i went on a 10 day trip with some intense riders streched the rpm,s a lot!!! now bick runs much smoother i babyed my bick for over 2 years my next will be run harder from the start!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I recently mounted a windshield bag on mine and the buffeting went away almost entirely. Don't fully understand how that could have made a difference but it did, plus, I have a place to store my little things all for $16!!

OH... Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bike. I LOVE MINE!
That's interesting, never heard of that ... is the bag in front of, or behind the windshield?

·
just cruzin by!
1,398 Posts
Dude, take it easy and enjoy the ride!!!!!! You got a CRUISER now!!!!!! You will see things you normally would pass up on your crotch rocket! Relax, enjoy....life is good!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.