Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
Just rode my new 2007 LT home today - I have all of 20 miles on it! I've seen the long threads here about the proper gas to use in this bike, but it was mostly from a year or more ago. Now that time has passed, do you all stand by your original responses?

As for MOM, I'm confused. On page 34 of MOM, it is written, "Use clean, fresh unleaded gasoline with a minimum Antiknock Index of 90." Then, in the chart on the right-hand side of the same page, it lists the (RON+MON)/2 formula, and gives a minimum Antiknock index of 87. So, which is it? :confused: Didn't the people putting this thing together notice the discrepancy?

Anyway, I think I will really come to like this bike. My old bike was a 2003 Honda VLX. The size was great for me, but I can do without the chain, the 4 gears, the 2.9 gallon gas tank, and the tendency to fall into corners. Once I get used to the size I'll be fine.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
(RON+MON)/2 formula

short for Research Octane is what is put on the pumps in the USA

therefore Kawasaki recomends regular fuel as does most on this fourm

·
What can I spend my $$ on
619 Posts
These always turn into colorful topics before to long. Use 87 octane and if the engine pings move up a grade.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
What they said, all the rigamaroe they put in the book is on your pump in the USA, they tell you how to figure it out but our pumps already have the answer on them. Use 87 octane, if you experience pinging, usually only if you are really lugging the engine down, move up a grade the next time. Running to high of octane will build carbon up in your bike so you want to use just enough not too much. It's generally 20 cents cheaper too.

·
Registered
591 Posts
This is one of those subjects for debate. My manual clearly states, on Page 34, to use gasoline with antiknock index of 87. Then, on the same page it shows a table that clearly states you should use antiknock index 89. Isn't that special! Then, if you look at the label under the seat it tells you to use fuel with a 91 RON, which is equivalent to an 87 R+M/2. I believe you should use the least expensive, lowest grade fuel, that allows you to operate your equipment without knocking, but I decided to err on the side of caution and go with 89. Maybe someday I'll get around to write to Kawasaki and ask them what the hell they were drinking when they wrote the manual.

·
900 LT
1,135 Posts
Maybe someday I'll get around to write to Kawasaki and ask them what the hell they were drinking when they wrote the manual.
I Guess the same person wrote the fuel ratings and the tire pressures

·
Registered
141 Posts
I posted this on another forum -

I found this chart which compares RON, MON and gives the average which is what we in the US see at the pump.
A pump octane of 87 should give a RON or antiknock index of around 91.

RON......MON.......(R+M)/2

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Welcome to the btk forum Stradbiker! You will find a lot of informative info here along with some of the most friendly folk from all over.
I have run 93 octane since I had my 06' 900 LT.
The MOM air pressures are 28 front/ 32 rear but I found out from threads here the Dunlop tires last longer at 35/38 like mine or some actually go 40/40.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts