Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Bayou 300 4x4...it has ran very good for years, 2 yrs back the choke cable froze, and I never replaced it. I would always choke it by putting my hand over the opening of the carb. Anyways, lately it been hard to start so I have been shooting it with Starting fluid to get it to start. It has lately been backfiring- it seems in the crank case, or so it sounds. the bike runs good, it just does it when it is sitting still. It also seem to run a little hotter. I just replaced the choke cable, and it starts great, but revs a little high. My dad said it could be the timing.could this be true? if so how can I check, and were is it? or is it some thing else? Help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have to say you guys are really a bunch of help! nice site really. I could of gotten better help from a lawnmover site.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Starting fluid is the enemy of a modern engine. What it does is torque the edges of the top ring over when it explodes, and tears off that upper edge. That lowers your compression. The explosive nature of starting fluid will also knock the sealing edges of the valves into their seats and can create damage there and also lead to excessive valve clearance.

However, since you can start and it runs just a bit fast, try adjusting your carb idle screw to lower the idle. Then adjust your valves and replace your spark plug and see if the problem went away.

If not, do a spark plug reading and a compression test after a moderate amount of riding, and then use that to tell you what you should do next.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I have to say you guys are really a bunch of help! nice site really. I could of gotten better help from a lawnmover site.
I want it FREE and I want it NOW!!!!!!! I don't care if you might have a life outside of this forum because what I want takes priority over your life.

Sigh, there is just no satisfying some people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts