Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, from northern arizona. i come bearing questions, and since it seems like more than a few people here have my bike (give or take a couple years) i might finally get some help!

i'm new to motorcycles, i've only been riding for a little over a year, and only 6 months on my '03 ninja 500r, so i thank you for your help in advance, and i hope i can be of help too. ^.^

so, uhh, question one: i can't find a service/repair manual for an '03 500r, but there's plenty for the 2002 model year. will a 2002 manual work with an '03, or did they change enough on the newer models to make the 2002 manual obsolete?

and question two: how many of you ride your ninja's in the snow? ^.^

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
94+ are all identical as far as I can tell, so anything for a 94-04 will fit your bike. ex500D is the best way to look for items.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all ^.^ i need a service manual so i can do my own maintinence on my ninja. i just don't know the specs to adjust to, hence the need for the manual. i just need to get used to working on a small engine, not a big block car like i'm used to.

and as far as moving to texas... i'll second ninjagirl's answer. :p

·
Registered
380 Posts
Flagstaff... doesn't it get cold up there...? ;)

Hehe, anyways... Welcome!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, it does get cold up here. i'm in the market for a good pair of warm gloves right now...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thankies ^.^

i didn't say there's anything wrong with texas... i just like my pine trees and snow ^.^

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we have a choice of brown dirt or black cinders. i need a dualsport.... ninjas don't like soft dirt much...

·
Registered
380 Posts
rednek426 said:
we have a choice of brown dirt or black cinders. i need a dualsport.... ninjas don't like soft dirt much...
Cool, I rode around on a dual sport for my MSF course. Those things are a blast, plus you can take them off road.

Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Freakinout said:
we've got the snow.... but no pine trees... a lot of brown dirt around here.
Plenty of pine trees in TX!!! I live in a forest of them in Central TX. And there are so many in East TX it is absurd. As for the snow, thankfully I don't see any of that in my neck of the woods.

As for the original question, yes the 2002 manual will do fine for the '03 model. The Ninjas haven't changed much in the last 11 years. In fact, as far as I know, the only change has been the turn signals. They changed from a more rigid type to one that flexes more because when the bike would be tipped over the turn signals had a good chance of cracking the fairing rather than just breaking or bending.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
East of Phoenix!!!

I live in Kansas, but I can't wait till I move to Sierra Vista, AZ and take weekends to play just east of Phoenix on the highways US, County and such...awseome switchbacks, nice slowspeed kneedragging, blind in some corners....AH....YES!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
rednek426 said:
. . . ninjas don't like soft dirt much
That's for sure. Last summer our local streets were torn up for a while, and I found out fast that my Ninja is no dirt bike.

As for riding in the snow, I think it's just too slippery to be safe. I'd hate to crack a fairing (or worse) just because I was stupid enough to ride in the snow. Cold doesn't bother me, though. So as long as the streets are clear (no snow or ice) I just bundle up and ride.
Curt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts