Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people i just bought my first new bike its a 2008 honda cbr 600 it due for its first oil change and the dealer wants to charge me between $265-425 dollars is this something i really need to have a dealer do or can i just do the oil change on my own? plese help dont have the $ but i need to come up with it i will any help would be great

·
Full Circle Rider
1,611 Posts
Hard question to answer at this point. Here's why.

If you need to ask the question you asked, then one can only assume this is something you've never done before. If that is the case, then you need to ask yourself if you have the tools and space to do service work on a bike. If you do, then it's not a complicated process. If you don't, then let the dealer do the work for you. They will also check other items as this is likely the first scheduled service for the bike anyway.

You MUST be comfortable checking ALL of the things the dealer will check during the first service IF you want to do the oil change yourself. This includes but isn't limited to chain maintenance, cable adjustments, bolt torque, steering head play, brake adjustments, and of course the oil change itself. If you're not ready for this, then let the dealer have his due.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Nice double post.

If you've never changed oil on a bike before let the dealer do the service. There's too much to learn to do correctly, all at once.

·
www.learntoride.org
1,364 Posts
Get a manual and do it yourself. That's an insane chunk of money, but they're not just changing the oil. They're checking the valve lash and carb sync and several other things listed in your owner's manual. It can be a pain having to take parts apart just to get the valve cover off to check the valve lash. A good part of the dealer's fees is labor you can do yourself. Assuming since your bike is new, you have the owner's manual, read it. There's a maintenance schedule in it. My husband and I just did my bike's.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Let them do the1st service, otherwise let the bike rest while you buy a shop manual, appropriate tools and sit down and study. A poorly done self service can cost you more money than you ever could imagine. I started restoring a 50cc as a 16 y/o from then on I've done plenty of restoring and wrenching.......learning and to become comfortable of what you do takes time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wow this is your call, If this is the first service it is probably best done by the dealer.
You will need to invest in a good set of hand tools plus a few speciality tools.
And have just a little bit of mechanical abiltys.This is sometimes lacking at a lot of dearlerships.
Also most warrentys require that who ever does the work have some degree of proven mech abilty to keep the warrenty. I have worked on bikes for a living for a long time now, plus I have taught at mmi and just because you go to mmi does not make you a mechanic.
Their are quite a few Students their just because they have to be somewhere. And thier system require student retention at all costs.
They are bad students and bad mechanics.
Joe Kawasaki

1 - 7 of 7 Posts