Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people i just bought my first new bike its a 2008 honda cbr 600 it due for its first oil change and the dealer wants to charge me between $265-425 dollars is this something i really need to have a dealer do or can i just do the oil change on my own? plese help dont have the $ but i need to come up with it i will any help would be great

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm no pro or anything... But I'd say do it yourself. I never did an oil change in my life and I managed on my bike with no troubles. Check youtube out for an instructional video on how to do it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Uhhh... are you sure that they aren't charging you 265-425 dollars for your first scheduled service? This probably includes a valve adjustment among other things.

Because I'd pay it and get it done. An oil change should be under 50 bucks, oil included. If you can't afford 300 bucks for scheduled maintenance you made the wrong choice buying a new supersport. $$$$$$$$$$$.

LOL Wait till you need new tires!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wow this is your call, If this is the first service it is probably best done by the dealer.
You will need to invest in a good set of hand tools plus a few speciality tools.
And have just a little bit of mechanical abiltys.This is sometimes lacking at a lot of dearlerships.
Also most warrentys require that who ever does the work have some degree of proven mech abilty to keep the warrenty. I have worked on bikes for a living for a long time now, plus I have taught at mmi and just because you go to mmi does not make you a mechanic.
Their are quite a few Students their just because they have to be somewhere. And thier system require student retention at all costs.
They are bad students and bad mechanics.
Joe Kawasaki

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first oil change

thanks everyone after reading all the repl i think its best if i take the bike in and i wena thank everyone that wrote to so thank you very much ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol yeah really well i called the dealership and found out it there service the whole bike not just a oil change **** how much are the tires? lol bike was supose to save me $ lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
dealerships vary greatly in 1st service prices. i had quotes a few months ago ranging from 150-300 bucks! i went to the dealer with the 150 price. you might want to make a few calls...

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
Wow this is your call, If this is the first service it is probably best done by the dealer.
You will need to invest in a good set of hand tools plus a few speciality tools.
And have just a little bit of mechanical abiltys.This is sometimes lacking at a lot of dearlerships.
Also most warrentys require that who ever does the work have some degree of proven mech abilty to keep the warrenty. I have worked on bikes for a living for a long time now, plus I have taught at mmi and just because you go to mmi does not make you a mechanic.
Their are quite a few Students their just because they have to be somewhere. And thier system require student retention at all costs.
They are bad students and bad mechanics.
Joe Kawasaki
a complete set of tools for an oil change? how about a 17mm socket and ratchet and filter wrench?

that's a wide brush you are painting MMI students with. you don't know how hard it has been to prove to the mechanics that I have worked with to prove that the stereotype you posted was not true of all MMI students. if you let bad students get past that was your fault not the school. I seen quite a few that were let through that shouldn't have but not after MTP.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If it is just oil and filter.........do it yourself. If it needs valve adjustment, save yourself time, money and heartache and just pay the dealer to do it. Do the smaller bikes actually need valve adjustment this early? My dealer said my bikes don't even need checked until 15,xxx miles. The owner's manual supports that.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
If it is just oil and filter.........do it yourself. If it needs valve adjustment, save yourself time, money and heartache and just pay the dealer to do it. Do the smaller bikes actually need valve adjustment this early? My dealer said my bikes don't even need checked until 15,xxx miles. The owner's manual supports that.
I would doubt that a new 600 would need the valves checked on the first service. if it was screw and lock nut then yes, it would. shim under is like you said, 15K.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you have worked as a mechanic then you know that this is about more than oil change it's a first service. And thats about the money too.
And you a re right I had some good students at mmi but as a whole most of the students were young and not very intrested in learning.
When I had to teach them things over that they were taught in theory class when students argued that they paid for their $23,000. And should not have to look it up in there notes or a manuel.
They were a product of the everyone gets a trophy school of thought. And they thought they should pass for just showing up and riding someone else's coat tails. Thats the reason you have to work to prove yourself. (but so does evreyone)
As for letting them pass I was pressured ( by Ed managers)to adjust lab grades and class scores so students could pass.
At first I resisted but after being pressured for a while by ed managers I just let them change the grades.
Since uti became a public company in late 03/04 there policy has been student reteniton at all cost. I'm sorry for any mmi grads because it's all about the money now at uti. They have to deal with the bad rep, they are getting now.
Your right I could have fought the system and lost a job that I liked helping some people who really wanted to learn.
Thats my 2 cents
Joe-R

·
Registered
733 Posts
Make sure that when you're checking around for prices, you ask them if they perform the same services. For example: on my bike, a valve clearance check was recommended at 600 miles; however, some dealerships did not feel it was necessary and therefore, did not perform the service, which obviously decreased their quoted price.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
Chris Reo (Kawasaki) was not afraid to fail anyone, more than 50% of the class went through at least twice.

the amount of jobs we had to do increased my second time through and they were going to increase again for the next class. I hustled the first time and missed it by two jobs (motorcycle section). made it the second time, barely. there were some that didn't make it the second time. some deserved to not pass a couple deserved to pass, just couldn't because of the amount of jobs and the condition of the bikes that they had to work on were bad enough that they had to waste time fixing something that someone else messed up and hid so they could pass. seen it happen to a couple good people that were trying to do the right thing and not slip by.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
lol yeah really well i called the dealership and found out it there service the whole bike not just a oil change **** how much are the tires? lol bike was supose to save me $ lol
You can expect to change tires around every 3-4000 miles depending on how you ride. You got into an expensive hobby! :mrgreen:

I would definitely take the bike to a dealership for the 1st service. You may be able to get away with doing the 2nd and 3rd oil changes yourself. It's not that difficult, but you'll want to get a set of stands and the appropriate size wrenches for your drain plug and wheels. It's much cheaper to take your wheels to the tire shop instead of the whole bike when it's time to get new tread.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
Make sure that when you're checking around for prices, you ask them if they perform the same services. For example: on my bike, a valve clearance check was recommended at 600 miles; however, some dealerships did not feel it was necessary and therefore, did not perform the service, which obviously decreased their quoted price.
yes, some shops will give you a cheaper price telling you that they will give it a good listen to see if the valves are good or not but that will only tell if they are loose, you can't hear tight valves. find a reputable dealership that will do the valve adjustment if it is called for on that service.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Depending on what you're looking for, tires can be had relatively cheap, or really expensive. Buying them online is a good option, but you may very well be able to find comparable deals in a local joint if you look around. I know here in the Denver area there's a place that has been pretty close to anything I've seen online. Right now I'm running a set of race take-offs that I picked up for $50. Best tires I ever had, but they're close to being finished after about 2000 miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts