Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
humble pie consumer
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'd like your input on the 1600 classic kawasaki vs the 1700 yamaha roadstar.
i'm going to drop the hammer on a new bike in the next 30 days and it's down to these choices. right now i'm leaning towards the yamaha.

i plan on doing a lot of traveling next year and hopefully meeting many forum members along the way. a good reliable, comfortable bike is a must.

i'm familiar with the kawasaki, having put 70k on my 1500 and having few problems along the way, but, being old school, i still can't get used to liquid cooled bikes. the yamaha is air/oil cooled and the 08 models have fuel injection and the prettiest blue on blue paint job.

so it's a choice between the nice and familiar or the blood rushing unknown.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Before purchasing my Nomad, I was considering the Roadstar and the Honda vtx1800 as well. All are fine bikes that'll certainly get the job done. Liquid-cooled is an advantage should you get stuck in traffic or be riding in very hot weather. The Kawi is shaft drive; the Yami is belt. Shaft is virtually bullet-proof; belts rarely have issues until about the 60K mark for replacement, but there's always that "chance". So in my mind the shaft is a slight degree more dependable.

Other than the cooling and driveline comparisons, you're really down to finite details. I don't think you can go wrong with either bike, quite honestly. It may come down to pricing, aesthetics (looks), and which one wags your tail more!

DS

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
From what I've been looking at, the Kawi is a better price than the Yami. If dollars are an issue, then going with the Kawi is the right choice. After all, it's not like it's not a great bike, right?! I really like the looks of the Yami with the belt drive and the motor design, not to mention the overall look of the bike.

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
Get the yamaha. You want to try something different, so do it! They are both solid bikes so its not like you are taking a risk of getting something unreliable. The air vs liquid cooled isn't an issue, the yamaha(and many others) have shown liquid cooled isn't necessary for long engine life.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Hope you get the one that trips your trigger the most ... as long as it gets you to Bridgeport when the snow melts :biggrin:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have you been to the Yamaha forum and asked owners of that bike what they think? My brother recently purchased a V-Star 1300 and it is a great bike.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Wish it was me, I drool over the Kawi every time I look at one.

Merry Christmas all !!!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You can't go wrong with either bike. It'll come down to your preference to shaft vs belt, air vs water but I believe they are both fuel injected.

Art, are you riding with the group on Saturday? If so, I look forward to meeting you.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Hope you get the one that trips your trigger the most ... as long as it gets you to Bridgeport when the snow melts :biggrin:
Exactly..............from reading your post it seems your heart has already made up your mind for you.
Life is too short not too get the bike that makes you look back twice e ery time you walk away.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've ridden a friend's Roadstar (it was the silver edition which may also be a 1600) on a few occasions. It's a very nice bike and this particular one sounds very nice with the V&H Longshots, even nicer than on my 1500 Classic, I think. Since my point of reference for the camparison is based on my having a classic, I would say that my bike is much more nimble and does not seem as cumbersome on the road as the Roadstar. But the Roadstar is a very comfortable ride, looks nice, including the belt-drive and of course it is every bit as reliable as the Kawi.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
At the IMS show this Saturday the Kawa rep told me there will be no 1600 cllassic in Ca this year so you might hurry up if you want that one. He said theyfailed Ca emissions because they run so good.
I just bought the Stratoliner Sunday, all I can say so far is WOW........

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
At the IMS show this Saturday the Kawa rep told me there will be no 1600 cllassic in Ca this year so you might hurry up if you want that one. He said theyfailed Ca emissions because they run so good.
I just bought the Stratoliner Sunday, all I can say so far is WOW........
California is gonna be in teh suck pretty deep one of these days the way this trend is going.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Yup, Carlo hit it! The one ya keep turning around to look at is prolly the one!:biggrin:

No experience with Yammy but I was on a ride with some friends last summer who were riding another brand with air cooled engines. Temps were right at 100 & we had to stop twice during heavy traffic to let them cool. My ole 1600 never had any probs! Don't know how much hot weather riding you'll do so that may or may not matter to you.

Good luck man! :biggrin: 8)

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
I would suggest riding before buying. After riding both, I had a definate strong (negative) opinion on the Roadstar. After trying them all I settled on the 1600. All of the bikes out there are very nice. After seat time, the Roadstar was not the bike for me. Get what you want and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You might check the prices. Local dealer in Central Forida was selling 1700Roadster two weeks ago for $8900. My friend priced same bike at same dealer 3 days ago for about $12k. When he inquired about the lower price, dealer said it was a sale but would honor same price. He didn't say but maybe there was a rebate. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Both good bikes.

·
humble pie consumer
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you been to the Yamaha forum and asked owners of that bike what they think? My brother recently purchased a V-Star 1300 and it is a great bike.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Wish it was me, I drool over the Kawi every time I look at one.

Merry Christmas all !!!
good advice, i'll take a look.

my son has an 1100 and it's a nice ride. great torque and solid.

·
humble pie consumer
3,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can't go wrong with either bike. It'll come down to your preference to shaft vs belt, air vs water but I believe they are both fuel injected.

Art, are you riding with the group on Saturday? If so, I look forward to meeting you.
no, i'm not. don't have a running bike.

·
Drink Plenty of Water
784 Posts
Liquid cooled is enough difference for me, shaft drive is a bonus. But then I'm prejudiced. Do what you think is right for you!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I hear the oil filter access is no longer an issue on the Yammy. Around here, the Kawi is on sale at somewhat under nine grand. Not a bad deal. I'd watch out not to be overspent with the tuning fork co.

Also, better have at least a listen to the Roadstar running, if not a good road test. Some have not been pleased with the thrashing sounds.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I really like the open mindedness of you guys on this forum. You can get an unbiased answer to a question rather than 'my bike is the only bike attitude.'
I driven Yamaha's and really like them. Suzuki Boulevards, they are OK, not all that crazy about them. I've never had much to do with Kawasakis until buying my V2K (other than dirt bikes). So now I'm very impressed with Kawi's.
It's kind of like the guy at work who says "I have too many holidays." Not really a problem! It is so nice to have all these great bikes to choose from. So have fun in choosing, I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you choose.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts