Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completed the running install of my 1st prototype electronic ignition on my '76 KZ400.

The controller fits completely under the stock points cover so there is no remote box to mount. The prototype is mounted to an adapter plate. The second gen will not need the adapter plate, it will drop right in. The optical disc is stainless steel.

It is a 2 wire system, it does have an output if you want to run an electric tach unit. This system will also have the future capability of carrying multiple ignition curves for the same engine or different CC engines.

The coil is a 3ohm 80k, single coil, dual tower unit. 8mm resistor wires are used.

The bike had not run since last Sunday, after setting the choke I hit the starter button and it took about 6 cranks of the engine before it started from cold. I did a few start/stop tests and each time it fired right up after 2 cranks.
I purposely did not do the "coil relay mod" just to test the system to see if the new coil really did fire at low voltage at start. I measured a 10.56vdc at the coil and it works. I will be doing another "cold start' test tomorrow and I will put my meter on the coil to measure voltage at the moment of start.

My second test will be with the “Coil Relay Mod” to see if the initial start response improves and over all running performance.

Here are the final images of the install.

Stock Ignition;

New System;

Coil Install, Right side;

Coil Install, Terminated

Plug Wires Installed, Tank installed;

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
It's a complete kit I sell.. the opto-electronic controller, optical disc/spacers, 80k volt dual tower coil and an 8mm plug wire you cut to length and terminate.

Let me know if your interested.

Jim
[email protected]
F'n awesome Jim. Got anything similar for a cb750. I'm in the middle of that build.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been a while since I've posted here, seems I can't keep up with all the forums lately. I wanted to post an update to my above post on the electronic ignition kit.

My kit will work on ALL KZ twin 400, 440, 650 & 750 regardless of the model.
The only exception at this time is the KZ 250/305, however this looks to happen some time this year.

(I can also ship kits for other brands of bikes both twin and inline 4's, please emails me for more info.)

Here is a list of whats included in the kit, as well as an image of what is currently being shipped with my kits.

Kit includes;
1 Optical Ignition Controller
1 SS Optical disc and stand off pack
1 Dual tower coil and mounting bracket
1 Set of 8mm spark plug wires (you will need to cut them to length and terminate the cut end)
1 Hardware pack
1 Printed instructions

If you're interested in a KZ kit or a kit for another bike, please contact me at [email protected]

Cheers,
Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a quick update, the new "on-head" electronic ignition is on track for a November release, here is a graphic of what the new KZ250/305 unit will look like.
The green plate will be the 'adapter' plate that the controller will mount to, the plate will be specific to the 250/305.
This system will have all the features of its big brother, just in a smaller package.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I looked at your link to the Martek unit. It's a Hall effect unit, using a magnet trigger, not too different than stock cdi or a dyna. The down side to a Hall effect trigger is it can be off +/-7* per rotation, and it can only track engine speed a max of 2 times per revolution. My system tracks engine speed 90 times a rotation, and for each of the 90 times it does 8 calculations. That's 720 calculations per rotation, one of these calculations is the time between the windows on the optical disc, this is why it has an extremely stable spark, sparking at the same time every time. The ignition can respond to sudden throttle closure or opening (a change in engine speed) by changing its timing and sparking at the right moment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts