Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article that says If you rev your engine to red line in 2nd 3rd and 4th you'll get more performance later on. They said to only do it a few times, but the reason for it seemed right. They said the o-rings needed to seat properly, and by revvingt he engine you get extra heat, causeing a tighter fit, in creasing conpression. Is this possible/probable?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, thats the idea behind it. Make sure your bike is nice and warm, find a nice open road ( go out in the morning) then start doing your burst and making sure to let the idle come back down to wash the parts with the oil.

I did this to my new 04 500R and runs very nice. I am going for my first tune up/oil change this comming week.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kawasaki says stay under 5K for 500 and 6K for 1000miles. But That might not be the best thing, just the easiest to follow. They aren't gonna give you a set of instructions, like rev to 7K at 256 miles, rev to 10K at 300miles. nothing like that. What I'm saying is what the manufacture says isn't always the best.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ALWAYS DRIVE THINGS DURING THE BREAK IN PERIOD LIKE I'M GOING TO DRIVE THEM LATER. GO OUT AND DRIVE NORMALLY

·
Registered
70 Posts
hey spinny do you know what the caps lock button to the left of the a button does? push it once.

·
Registered
34 Posts
WHY WOULD I YELL A FRIENDLY COMMENT TO SOME ONE. PERSONALLY I DO NOT LIKE THE WAY SMALL LETTERS LOOK. IT'S A PERSONAL PREFFERENCE, JUST LIKE SOMEONE THAT DOESN'T EAT MUSTARD, THEY DON'T USE IT.

·
Registered
43 Posts
SPINNY said:
I ALWAYS DRIVE THINGS DURING THE BREAK IN PERIOD LIKE I'M GOING TO DRIVE THEM LATER. GO OUT AND DRIVE NORMALLY

I don't know.....This doesn't sound like a good idea to me? My bike is in break in period, and I'm nervous enough that I've already had to 6k rpm when the limit is 4

·
Registered
34 Posts
ALL THE PISTON RINGS ARE GOING TO SEAT THEM SELVES BY THE TIME YOU GET YOUR BIKE HOME. I'VE DONE THIS WITH MY KX 125 WHEN I BOUGHT IT AND EVERY YEAR WHEN I CHANGE THE TOP END. MY GIRLFRIEND AND I DROVE HER NEW CAR THE SAME WAY, WE HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH IT. BASICLLY DRIVE THE BIKE FOR THE BREAK IN PERIOD HOW EVER YOU FELL COMFORTABLE. I JUST HOPE THAT YOU GUYS AND GALS ARE ENJOYING YOUR NEW BIKES
:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought my new ZZR a week ago, while I was at the dealership the salesman was saying during the break-in period don't give it anymore than 8k rpm til after the first service, I get home and read the owners manual and it says no more than 4k rpm for the first 800 kms then 6k rpm for the next 800, so naturally I'm paranoid as all hell, coz all the way home I'm giving 8K, so I ring the salesman up and he said he's told ZZR customers the same thing for the last 4 years and the majority of them are still coming back for services at 20k kms.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well I started out breaking in my zx-6r by the book until I read this article. I suggest that if your breaking in an engine just to read it to see what the other side of the story is. As to what USA 1 says I would have to say thats ok but to make sure your bike is warmed up and to make sure you vary your rpms. I think the key to breaking in an engine is to get the rings to seal right. Once you have accomplished this I think your golden.

P.S. Lay off spinny for typing in CAPS. He is after all Canadian.

Thanks,
Erik

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Brainz, do you have anymore pics of your bike you can post? The paint looks nice. would like to see some full size pics of you could.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TH'at for the input guys. BTW,Spinny it is your pefernce to keep them in caps, but it does make poeple think you are yelling. But you obviously aren't. SO keep it like that if you wish, but it a bit hard to under the tone and mood of your writing. Like If you say "that's a good idea!" and "THAT'S A GOOD IDEA!"

notice the first seems a bit more friendly, anywho, I love the USA(weee!!) so do as your please. That's what makes the free world great :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts