Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have the chance to buy a 95 ninja for 1200 with 11k miles on it.

its a 250 cc.

some people tell me to go for it and some tell me i need at least a 750 or more for the highway.

It will be for a semi-daily driver in florida.

will 250 be ok for 50% on highway?

thanks so much!

Brandi

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
A 750 is huge for you...a 250 is the minimum in California. You have dimensions of yourself? Know any other riders? First streetbike? Answering these questions would help.

Now if the responses are favorable, the 250 is fine for highways...Out here it is sorta pushing it since everyone here drives like a maniac.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive had a 175 cc dirt bike and ran the hell outta that, this will be my first street bike, althiugh not the first time i drove a bike on the street.

Im 5' 9" and weigh 150 lb.s

I dont mean go 90 mph on the highway all the time, just 70 or so to keep up with the traffic.

thank you for responding.

Brandi

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't finance a 500cc or more...

it has to be down payment and weekly at the shop. which this place will do. (dam bankruptcy)

·
Registered
156 Posts
A 250 will do ok by you. A 500 would be manageable also. Have you taken an MSF course? If this is your first streetbike, an MSF should be priority #1 or close to it. It will also help with your insurance costs. Is your budget the main factor in getting the 250? Either way, its good that youre getting a used bike. That way, if you should drop it, you wont be scratching up a new bike. Used is a good bike to learn on. Best o' luck!

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
A 250 will top out higher than that. Around 100mph, I do believe. Learn to ride on the street, enjoy it, and upgrade when you're ready.

And welcome!

·
Registered
156 Posts
is the top speed of a 250 ninja 78 MPH???????

that what i was just told by their dealer

I have no idea of the top speed of a 250. If its 78 like you say, then that should be plenty. Over time, if your need for speed goes up, I can lend you mine. :biggrin:

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
ive had a 175 cc dirt bike and ran the hell outta that, this will be my first street bike, althiugh not the first time i drove a bike on the street.

Im 5' 9" and weigh 150 lb.s

I dont mean go 90 mph on the highway all the time, just 70 or so to keep up with the traffic.

thank you for responding.

Brandi
With what you said in mind, get a larger bike if you ran your dirtbike silly...I just got a small TTR-125 for the wife and I. On the first day I rode that thing WOT everywhere...I heard that poor engine struggle with me and I saw it struggle on some decent uphill dip and rise. It was fun but consider this...Within the first 3 days I was telling my wife I need something bigger. You do not seem like a "small" woman...Get an older 600 if you can. Used FZR, YZF600R, CBR F2 or even F3...You are not new to bikes and can say that if you rode dirt, street will be that much easier...BTW my whole write up in the sportbike section will come up...After riding a small dirtbike, I know I will never recommend a small one to a grown man. But there is an exception to everyone...My wife could not have started on a bigger bike...She is not strong, she is not adventurous, she never drove manual before, she gets nervous easily, and really is not into speeding. If you are none of the above take my advice and get something larger than the 250. Plus you said you will never go 90+...I used to say that and have gone over 130+...That was just a couple of times...I often cruise at 80mph or on my speedo at least 85.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Brandi,
if you can, get something bigger. Since you have experience, you'll very quickly outgrow the 250....say in like a month! If you can find a 500 or afford a 650, that would be much better.

Welcome to the forum!

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
I can't understand when people say "you will out grow" any bike! I was dragging knee on my friend's 250 a while back and I did not feel like I outgrew the bike.

then again I did crash my 600 soon after....

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Get the 250. Enjoy the summer riding. Move up when you are ready financially and emotionally. The 250 will keep up with traffic and have some reserve. Not like my old 175 enduro I started street riding with. It was maxxed out at sixty. Still I rode it for a year.

·
'07 ZZR600
2,363 Posts
is the top speed of a 250 ninja 78 MPH???????

that what i was just told by their dealer
lord no, I've had my 250 up to an indicated 100mph... (my 600 up to 140... don't tell anybody). it's got plenty of oomph for the highway... mine just wasn't comfortable enough to blast down the highway for long stretches...

1 - 20 of 98 Posts