Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

New guy checkin in

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  PickYourPockets 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!
Hope you're all ready for a happy Holiday!
My name is Gary & I live in Virginia. Been away from riding a few years, raising family & putting kids thru college. :shock: Baby girl in her last year so the better half finally blessed my hots for a scoot. :grin: Time to start beatin the bushes! Looking to buy in late Feb or March. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Been awhile so I took the safety co**** @ got my license back. I really like the looks of the 1600 classic but the 2000 looks pretty hot too! Is the 2000 worth the extra 4k? Does it have that much more giddyup and or frills? Will probably be riding mostly single. I'm kinda a big guy,weightlifter gymrat type (5'8", 230)so the size is what I really want.
Going to Va Beach over holidays & hope to maybe get a test ride. Heard Kaw dealers are a little stingy with test rides. :? Please tell me it ain't so!
I am really interested in your experienced opinions comparing the two and will greatly appreciate all your replies.
Have a great holiday!!!

#2 ·
re

welcome again pitch :wink: (saw your other intro)

worth the extra 4K?-it is to the guys that ride them
more giddyup?-you bet it does :p

the 1600 will handle your size no problem
both bikes are great choices-just keep in mind that the 2Kis a different
type powerplant and a different drive system than the 1600 and a bit of a handful under 15mph but they really draw attention wherever they go

best way to tell -ride them, have someone drop you off cause if you ride them both your going to buy one of them :grin:

#3 ·
Welcome Gary, glad to have ya! You're gonna love us here! These guys that put this site together and the others that have came along since then, oh man i am thankful for em'. Not hardly a day goes by that i don't get on here and check things out! You Will Too!!! Yeah,go on and get that bike asap.. I ride a 1500 Vulcan classic,weight 210 lbs. and this size bike is plenty for me. So go on and pick ya out something,just make sure you get ya a Kawasaki!!!!!! See Ya, Kenny in North Carolina.....

#4 ·
Well Pitchin...the 2000 definitely has more oomph than the 1500/1600 models...so giddyup she's got -but I ride two-up in the mountains of East TN on my 1500 with more power than I need, most of the rest is braggin' rights and leaving the pack behind on the accel lane when boarding the interstate :grin: ...more frills? That depends on what you call "frills"...Kaw has been light in the accessory department on the VN2000 :confused: ...there is much, much more for the 1500/1600 beasts (I know, I got one! And I have gone poor buying 'em, but they're worth it!! :cool: )

As far as test rides, my Kaw dealer keeps one in the back for test rides, so there are some that do. If you haven't ridden a >600# cycle though, be ready for a little difference than the ones you rode taking the basic skills course, and be careful. Slow speed turns on hilly parking lots take a little getting used to.

#5 ·
welcome again pitch. i would say the 2000 would be worth it but i love power so my view is a little on-sided. most dealers up here don't allow test rides on new bikes. if they have a used on they usually will. good luck with your decision, let us know how you make out.

david

#6 ·
Motorcycle Cruiser mag (December 04) recently did a test of the supercruisers... Vmax, Rocket III, Rune, Vrod, and V2K. The reviewers generally felt the V2K was the worst of the 5 in speed, handling, styling, and comfort. It's got enough torque to pull stumps but is not billed to be a particularly useful all-around cruiser. From what the 15/1600 owners have to say on this site, I'd say you'd be happier with one of them. On a non-Kaw note, I visited my wrench a couple of weeks ago who happens to be a Triumph dealer. He had 2 of the Rocket III's in and they are b-e-a-utiful. Beastly for sure (which sounds right up your alley), but surprisingly easy to handle according to the owner (of course he's biased and doesn't particularly like th 1500). Gripfulls of power and torque. It's a bit quiet for my taste but with dual-sided "triple-pipes", it'll be interesting to see what the aftermarket exhaust companies offer in the years to come. Good luck with your search!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.