Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my VTX1300C for many reasons....poor engineering kind of sums it up....."peg drag" with anything close to a fun turn :( .....problems w/ normal aspiration :( . I had a Magna for years and miss that bike and its power.

I have found a used 02 Mean Streak with 5600 miles, black, in great shape....test drive went well...owned by responsible adult.....he's asking $7900 obo.....figure he will sell for $7700....

I enjoy riding to work...about 60 miles round trip and go year- round when weather permits. Has anybody got advise about windshields and bags. I love the looks of this bike, but I don't see many with shields and bags. I get the impression most Meanie riders are after pure performance and not daily use.....maybe I'm wrong.....Tell me I am, cause I am close to buying this bike. IMHO this bike has got the Hondas beat w/: fuel injection, adjustable levers, tachometer, self cancelling signals...just to name a few...What concerns me is putting a lot of miles on this bike over its life? :?:

Thanks in advance for your help.

Aviator 8)

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you enjoy riding wether to work or not the Meanie would be hard to beat.
Putting a lot of miles up on one shouldn't be an issue with a great hulking low stressed 1500 engine.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I use the Memphis shades Pop top, it's the smallest shield they make that mounts to the forks. At six foot tall it does a reasonable job but I get some head buffeting.
As far as saddle bags I don't use them but I do have a bag that sits on the rear of the seat and attaches to the tiedowns under the struts. It is big enough to carry extra clothes, camara, water bottles, tools, etc.
The meanstreak is an excellent bike. Hope this helps and good luck.
Also welcome to the site :)

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

we have several meanie owners here and i'm sure they'll tell you to buy it :lol:
its a fantastic bike and it will blow the vtx1300 away in several areas including quality.
there are shields and bags availible for it (memphis shades,) but it is a perfromance bike
so alot of folks don't dress it up. mileage? no problem,rack them up :lol: the bike will take you
anywhere you want to go with ease and the pegs don't drag :lol: and i bet it gets better mileage than the vtx too :wink: -buy it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought a Memphis Shades Slim for my '03 Mean Streak - liked it so much I just ordered a Fats, too. Got the solar (clear), so it's not really noticeable anyway. I care more about function (which is why I bought the meanie in the first place - otherwise I'd have bought a Harley :lol: ), although I've got no complaints about how the bike looks - with or without a windshield.

I also bought some LeatherLyke bags for it - I plan to do long trips and some commuting on it, so I need ample storage. Love the LL bags - they mount right to the strut/shock boltholes, they lock, and they are quick on/quick off, once you get the mounting hardware on (which took about 15 minutes). Spendy, though - about $400.

Anyway, I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Mean Streak as an everyday rider - it is a sweeeeeeeetttt bike. Stops and handles better than any other cruiser on the market, looks great, and plenty of power for anything short of drag racing. If you're into that, put some new pipes and an airbox on it, and it'll do alright there, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just upgraded from a Sabre 1100 to the Mean Streak. The first thing I did was put a National Cycles windshield and LeatherLyke bags on it. both great choices.

The bags are ideal because they lock, are very strong, and can hold a ton of stuff. I can fit my half helmet, gloves, goggles, and neck scarf in one side, and my heavy jacket in the other.

I put in about 14,000 miles a year, so a windshield was a must.

Lots of people seem to go with the Memphis Shades windshields. I went with the National Cycles. It's your choice which one you like better.

The LeatherLyke bags are the way to go though. They are pricey, but worth it.

It's a great commuter bike, and gets up and goes when you feel like it.

Blackwood

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ride 03 Meanie, have the Kawasaki Fire & Steel Windshield, it get's the job done. If you change the stock airbox, pipes and add the power commander you will be amazed how fast this bike is. It is a great riding bike that's a dream to ride and it's got unmatched braking. You won't go wrong with a Mean Streak!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My next door neighbor just bought is '04 Meanstreak a month or so ago. He is REALLY happy with the bike. He also uses it to and from work and running around on the weekend.

I think I read every power cruizer article that was published around the time the Meanstreak, Warrior, V-Rod and VTX were released. They consistently marked the Meanie as being the most comfortable of the 4. I personally decided on the Warrior because of the better handling (it also has the furthest lean angle), stopping capabilities, and the modern touches (LED taillight, backlit digital tach, EFI, etc.). However, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the Meanie.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I picked my Mean Streak up the 1st of April and have put just shy of 1500 miles on it so far.....which isn't too bad considering the weather here in norther Illinois hasn't exactly been the greatest :) I ride it back and forth to work and run around on the weekends. The bike is a blast to ride! It handles great and stops on a dime....believe all the articles that applaud the Meanie's stopping power!

Other than a few little cosmetics (grips, pegs, etc) the only thing I have done is changed out the stock seat (Corbin Dual Touring saddle) and aired up the rear shocks for 2-up riding. I'll probably change out the air intake and exhaust over the winter.

You can't go wrong with this bike!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts