Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just wanted to say hello and tell everyone a bit about myself.

My name is Mike and I'm from the Steel City, Pittsburgh, PA. I have live here all my life and pretty much love it except for the fact they go salt happy in the winter which means I put the bike away till spring. I have grown up around dirt bikes and quads and had a couple dirt bikes of my own when I was a kid. A 1979 Honda 50 and a 1969 Suzuki 250. Yes there were old but when you are 12/13 you just think it’s great to even have a bike. My uncle bought them used for my brother and I to learn on. He is the one who taught us since he was the only one I know of in my family to have actual motorcycles and a license.

I bought my very first street bike July 2nd 2005. It was a 2001 Kawasaki ZX-12R with only 2700 miles on it one adult owner. I sold that bike last month with 21,000 miles on it to my buddy because September 26th I purchased a Brand new 2005 Vulcan 1600 classic. I loved my 12 and could throw that thing around in the twisties, but due to being engaged and my fiancé loving to ride as well it was no longer practical for two up applications. I was so comfortable on that bike and knew how it would react, I actually had to replace the right foot peg a couple times due to leaning so much I ground down the bolts that hold on the rubber inserts. Chicken strips need not apply. Between May of 06 and september of 06 I went through 4 sets of tires from just street riding.

That was my first street bike and people were telling me I was going to kill myself and it was too big. In my eyes it’s all about maturity and having the self control not to whack the throttle. I proved that and I think a lot of the guys I met through one of my other forums saw and noticed that. My favorite saying is "Go Big or Go Home" :biggrin:

Now on to the bikes. I will post pictures at the bottom of the 12. I do not have any pictures of the Vulcan with everything on it yet due to just adding the saddle bags with Easy Brackets.

The ZX-12 had the following modifications done by me:

Exterior:
Fender Eliminator Kit
Libertek LED Diamond Taillights
Magical Racing Double Bubble Screen with Carbon Trim (from Japan)
Magical Racing Carbon Racing Mirrors (from Japan)
Pittbull Swing Arm Spools
Watsen Design flush mount LED Signals
Debotech Carbon Fiber Front Fender
Debotech Carbon Fiber Fuse Cover
Debotech Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger / Chain Guard
Debotech Carbon Fiber Air duct Covers
Galfer Stainless Steel Braided Brake lines (Front)

Performance:
Akrapovic Full Racing Line Exhaust
BMC Air Filters
Dynojet Power Commander III USB
Muzzy Bonneville Box (removes Speed limiter)

The 2005 Vulcan 1600 classic has the following add-ons:

Kawasaki Sissy bar
Cobra Passenger Floor boards
Cobra Fatty Highway Bar
Leather Hard mount saddle bags with Easy Brackets

I would like to get an exhaust for the bike but I have to find one that has a good mean note but isn’t so obnoxious that my fiancé complains….:lol: . I would also like to get a jet kit and I guess a power commander if that is what is used on this bike to make air/fuel adjustments. I’m still looking into that.

Other than that if you have any questions please feel free to ask me!

Pics....

Attachments

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that is the bike I just sold to my buddy. I have to get pictures up of my new Vulcan.

I have been hanging around forums for a while and I like to find ones that are vehicle specific. I used to modify sport compact cars and even run a small club in Pittsburgh for it (www.newdawncustoms.com). So I know pictures and a good introduction always breaks the ice nicely.

It has been raining everyday since I got the saddle bags on the bike so I havn't been able to pull it out of the garage and take some nice outdoor pictures yet. Maybe the next 3 days I'm off I'll luck out.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Welcome SilverBullet. Looking forward to seeing the new bike.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Welcome Mike! IRON CITY Rules! LOL

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the welcomes so far. I was re-reading my post to see if I left anything out and was laughing because I keep scraping my front floor borads while runing the twisties. Infact pulling out with the bike I scraped and when my buddy at the dealership saw me next he was lauging telling me its not the 12.... :lol:

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Welcome to the forum, there's a few of us from the Western PA area. We're in Greensburg so one of these days we'll have to get together and go for a ride.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good. I ride with a few guys from the greensburg area. I met a lot of the locals on BikerPlanet.... Great group of guys. Mostly they ride sportbikes but quite a few of them ride/own several sytles of bikes. The ages of members range from approx 21 all the way up to late 50's. If you visit that forum make sure you have thick skin and a sock twisted sense of humor.

I have gone into vapor lock a few times laughing so hard.

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
Mike, what part of da 'burgh iz you from?
Used to work at FORE Systems/Marconi Communications in Warrendale a while back and then was at SoftWriters in Allison Park for a year and a half.
Good buddy of mine who I met at work still lives in Squirrel Hill. They play football every Thanxgiving I think at either Frick Park or Schenley Park.

Lucky...

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
They play football every Thanxgiving I think at either Frick Park or Schenley Park.
Lucky...
Ha, ha, ha, the infamous Turkey Bowl! Some of those local games even make the TV news.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Sounds like you're a bit fast for me but a hearty welcome to the fold! I'm an old fart riding antique bikes.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Welcome aboard, great group of people here, that 12 was a nice looking bike, cant wait to see some pics of the 1500. So welcome and jump right in.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
Welcome Mike!!!!! :biggrin:

I am SO glad you decided to join our little forum family!!!! These people are awesome! When I joined last year I was only a passenger on hubby's bike with NO intention of ever riding myself. Well, a year later I not only ride, but I have moved up to my second bike now, a 900LT!!!

So careful....they can make you do things around here that you NEVER thought you would before!!!! :eek:

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
Classic, my buddy had his pic in the post gazette a few years ago from the Turkey Bowl. Unfortunately they have a few injuries every year. Hehehe....
grown men playing sandlot football and many if not all not conditioned for that type of physical abuse.

Lucky...

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok Ladies and Gents,

Here are the pictures of the 05 1600 Classic. I just got back a little bit ago from a ride with two of my buddies. It was wierd seeing someone riding "my" bike... :lol:

Attachments

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Great to see another local here!

Where in the Burgh do yinz live? Maybe we'll hook up for a ride sometime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts