Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forum and really looking for some educated advice/opinons.

I have had one heck of a story with my zx6r, (1998, 15,800 mi, rebuilt with new head and all at 8,000 mi, oil changed every 2k, used as commuter for most part). I bought this bike used, 3 months later the timing chain was ticking, took it in to get it fixed, after tear down basically find out that the bike was peiced together before it was traded in to the dealership where i bought it from. I had pretty much the entire top end rebuilt ($4800) with a new head and all. The only problem after the rebuild was that the bike showed what the kawi mechanic called "clutch slap" and made a slightly annoying ticking sound. According to him this is because he couldn't get the clutch plates to line upexactly due to the slight wear that was on the individual plates, therefore they would slap together slightly, he claimed this wasn't an uncommon/worrisome issue. This sound wasn't terribly loud, and was pretty constant throughout the rpm band.

Now, however, I started my bike up today, rode it around my subdivision for the first time in a long time w/o a helmet on and realized that there is now a much louder "ticking" sound coming from the motor. It is pretty loud, much louder than what I ever remembering the "clutch slap" being, and it pretty much goes away after 4k rpm. I'm wondering if I'm already due for a valve adjustment, or is this the cam chain again??? I dunno, but I've dumped way too much money in this thing right now, so I'm gettin kinda frustrated with it, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
it is possible that the cam chain is the issue and it is possible that valve clearance is due. based on the fact that you just rebuilt the head, i wouldnt expect it to be worn cam lobes or anything like that but then again, i rebuilt my motor as well and put 6500 miles on her and now she has leaky valve stem seals and a new tick that i never heard until now so anything is possible sorry i couldnt help better but i figured if you knew you werent alone you wouldnt feel bad about dumping that much money in it and still having problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks aftermath, anyone else have an opinion? I'm at my folks house now for the holiday, and I'll be returning home this weekend, so I guess if nothin else, it'll be back to the shop and see if they can tell just by listening to the sound??? I dunno what the hell to do???

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Usually clutch noise come from the clutch basket being boogered up from someone doing burn outs alot. The square tabs that drive the clutch plates beat up the basket increasing the clearance. Usually hear it when the clutch is depressed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts