Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! Looks like a great site you have here, I'm sure I will learn alot from all of you. I'm 26 and live in Vegas. I've been riding quads since I was little, and up until now I've never had much interest in anything with less than four wheels. But...The combination of high gas prices, going back to school at UNLV (where parking is a real pain in the butt), and a couple of roommates who have bikes has convinced me to buy my first motorcycle. So I'm now the proud owner of a '95 Ninja 500. It's not much and it's not pretty, but it should be a great bike to learn on. I got the bike really cheap, because it's obviously been down more times than I could count on both hands. I don't mind, because like I said I got it cheap, and besides I'll probably add to it's impressive littany of pavement kisses before it's all said and done and I'll be nowhere near as mad about dropping this $600 bike as I would be about screwing up a nice $6000 bike. Anyway, the couple of questions that I had for you fine gentlemen (and ladies) are as follows.

1. While I'm not too worried about how the bike looks, the biggest ugly is the fact that the nose piece in front of the tank (what is the correct terminology for this piece, by the way???) has been poorly repaired and spray painted a different shade of red. I've been thinking that replacing this piece would do wonders for the bike's appearance. So where would I be able to find a replacement? Would I want to go aftermarket or OEM used or what? And what is a ball park for what it should cost me.

2. Is there anything special I should know about this model? Any common problems or concerns? It's got 31k on it which sounds like a lot to me, is that something I should worry about?

Thanks alot everyone, and I hope to hear from some of you soon.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new (to you) bike.

If you are worried about miles change the spark plugs and change the oil. Inspect the chain for wear and tear and replace if necessary, clean and lube otherwise.

You can get a new upper fairing off of ebay (sometimes - search for 'ex500' ) or from http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/kawiz/ex5002794.htm

you might give it a month or two before you replace the fairing, just in case you drop it in that first part of your learning curve.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts