Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, The name's Ksnarf and i bought a 87 Ninja 750r a couple weeks ago.

All my questions are related to the Cooling system

1. Where is the Thermostat? the guage goes up and down as I drive. If i keep it at 65 in 6th, then i can keep it under control, but if i go any faster the guage goes straght to Hot

2. Where is the drain to flush the coolant? I couldn't find it on the side of the freeway (not surprising)

thx;
kris

·
Registered
48 Posts
The drain plug should be on the lower left side of the radiator, if I'm not mistaken. (At least, that's where mine was, at any rate) As far as where the thermostat is located, you'll have to pull the tank and seat for that.

Something to look at is any blockage on the radiator, as well...sometimes, leak "stoppers" can also be a major problem with them, causing overheating.

Hope this helps.

ZX

·
Registered
71 Posts
Stat should be situated in te housing where the rad cap is, Top right hand side of the radiator.

Coolant drain is situated on the underside of the steel pipe coming out of the center of the water pump.

Water pump is on the lower left hand side of the engine just forward of the gear change lever.

Had a B model ZX9R in the other day doing the same thing, Ok until you gave it some stick then it overheated........head gasket was gone..
:( :( :(

·
Registered
302 Posts
My 600 ninja did the same thing. I replaced the thermostat, to find out that it was bad, and my hoses on top of the thermostat cracked due to the heat trapped between the engine and gas tank.
Just thought I share my experience hope it helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
WATER WETTER

USE WATER WETTER!!! 4% water wetter, 16% coolant and 80% distilled water mixture. Then, bleed the air out of the water pump, then bleed the air out of the thermostat housing, top that **** off and off you go! TEMPS WILL DROP! I PROMISE!

peace,

dimitris

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

there is a product made by CRC called TOW COOL radiator additive
it is radiator and cooling system safe! it will drop operating temps 10-15%
it works very good - i've used it bikes and cars
they also make one for automatic transmissions :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts