Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a new guy, just bought a '71 F5, it will need a lot of work, my first questions for this forum: I took the head and cylinder off, (it will need a new piston, where can I get one) and on the head there looks like a compression release, (spring loaded button, opens a valve in the dome) I didn't think big bore 2 strokes needed a compression release, is it necessary?:shock: I had a '80 Yamaha XT 500, and you couldn't start it without using the release.
Thanks
J York
Broken Arrow Ok.
1992 Yamaha V Max
2006 Honda CRF 230
1985 XT 125

·
WFO Enthusiast
89 Posts
Not aware of a factory compression release. I don't think I've ever seen one on a 2 stroke anyway. Got a pic of it?
Hello, I'm a new guy, just bought a '71 F5, it will need a lot of work, my first questions for this forum: I took the head and cylinder off, (it will need a new piston, where can I get one) and on the head there looks like a compression release, (spring loaded button, opens a valve in the dome) I didn't think big bore 2 strokes needed a compression release, is it necessary?:shock: I had a '80 Yamaha XT 500, and you couldn't start it without using the release.
Thanks
J York
Broken Arrow Ok.
1992 Yamaha V Max
2006 Honda CRF 230
1985 XT 125

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
comp. release

yea, it's not factory, but if you push the red button thingy, it opens up the little valve, I would think it would have to pull, as with a cable attached.
Also the compression chamber dome is pitted, quite a lot my guess is pre-detonation, I think I can clean that up though.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I had a 250 2 cycle back in the early 70's and the head looked very similar but it had another spark plug in the other hole that you could just move the coil wire to in the event that the other plug fouled out. Maybe that is what it was intended to be.

The parts breakdown at kawasaki.com just shows some sort of filler plug that goes in the hole to close it off so maybe it was intended for some option you could add to the bike.

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,704 Posts
The Wheel Master

Ask Morrie if he has a piston ring set for you . If he offers advice listen and say thank you.
Morrie is one of those rare people you meet in the motorcycle world . Call or email and consider sending your cylinder and head to him for the machine work . Have a competent motorcycle machinist check out your crank . I've been doing this for many years and can't tell w/o taking a crank apart unless it's so wasted that it's obvious . Just keep in mind that if the crank is marginal a fresh top end will hasten it's departure .

~kop

1 - 8 of 8 Posts