Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
This snow has got to go!
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was going to wait until this project was 100% done before I posted anything about it but it's cold as hell and I'm bored sooo.....

I have never liked the shape of the stock headlight bucket on the 900 so for Christmas my wife got me a Cobra II Headlight for my 900 SE.

I never had any intention of keeping it chrome and wanted to paint it black and have some pin striping on it but wasn't sure what the design would be exactly.

I kicked around the idea of having a design based on a tattoo I have but couldn't come up with something that merged the tat with the designs on the bike. I did know that I wanted the colors of the design (whatever I decided on) to be the exact same as the pin striping (decals) already on the bike. I tried sampling the color of the decals from photos but that just didn't work at all. I decided the only way to get it exact was to scan the decals and sample the colors.

I ordered the front fender decal (it was cheapest at $20) and was tinkering it with it I found out it fit really well on the headlight so I decided to just use it.

My Stepfather works in a body shop and was great helping me with this mod (as well as a few others I'll post about later). We sanded the thing down and washed it with an acid bath.

Then we hit it with a primer that I guess has acid in it too and painted it black.

We hit it with a clear coat and put the decal on it (I guess decals stick to clear better than paint) and then cleared it again and wet sanded it.

We hit it with a final clear coat and buffed it out.

My corgi Penny doesn't think much of it I guess.

One thing I did wrong (so far) is that I had to drill the hole for the wires bigger (3/4 inch).

In the process scratched the hell out of it, hence the third clear coat and some more paint. I would do this first if I were to do it again.

·
Official Bug Taster
361 Posts
Dude that looks good. I bet it will look bad @$$ on your bike. I didn't know you could get the stickers like that. Hope you don't mind, but I may have to put that in my todo list.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
wow!

that looks awesome!

can't wait to see it on the bike.

i'm sure you won't notice the few chips around the hole at all when it's on the bike!

you seem to know what you're doing though, so i'm sure it'll all look top notch when you're finished! :)

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Not too shabby looking, man. Cant wait to see the pics after install!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Nice and a nice assortment of vice grips too.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
You'll have to update with pics of it on the bike when you're done with the mounting.

·
This snow has got to go!
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm sure you won't notice the few chips around the hole at all when it's on the bike!
We sanded it down to the metal in those places and repainted it and cleared it again.

You'll have to update with pics of it on the bike when you're done with the mounting.
Oh I will! This weekend looks nice (mid 20's anyway) so I'll get it on there.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I can't wait! I wonder what a painted headlight would look like on something other than the SE's paint scheme.

·
Official Bug Taster
361 Posts
FL Vulcan Rider that is one sweet ride. Love the pin striping.

·
Official Bug Taster
361 Posts
It is a good shop job. I didn't even notice untill something was said.

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Nice photo shopped ride FL Vulcan RIder. :shock:
I never got it painted.... it was about a year ago... and I think Buscard or someone photoshopped it for me for ideas. When I saw his headlamp, it reminded me of the photoshop that he did for me way back in the day. That's not what my bike looks like though, I never went through with it. Here's what mine looks like:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts