Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Tomball, TX
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went down about a month ago and I'm piecing the custom back together. I'm taking the opportunity to change up the bike with the insurance money :)

Long story short I'm replacing the headlight and the headlight I purchased has two wires on it..... The bike has 3. I found a wiring diagram online on the forum that shows the three wires but the text cannot be made out on the colors.

Since I am no electrician I can only assume the bike is wired for low beam, high beam, and ground?

the headlight is this on here MeanCycles - - CONCORDE 4 1/2" CHROME BILLET HEADLIGHT
There is a red and yellow lead from the headlight.

Can any of you geniuses shed some light on this subject for me? Thanks!

PS: My gear saved my A$$! And most notably my head. Please stay safe out there and wear your gear.

·
-=V=-
245 Posts
Yes your bike it wired high/low and ground . It sounds like the new light is either low and ground or high/low on the wires and uses casing as the ground .

And my gear saved my a$$ too.

·
Tomball, TX
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marek. Is there a way for me to tell if it is grounded to the housing if I crack the unit open?

·
-=V=-
245 Posts
Thanks Marek. Is there a way for me to tell if it is grounded to the housing if I crack the unit open?
You may want to look inside there may be a common ground spot in there to hook a ground to .
Do you have a multi meter ? If you do set it to ohms and put one lead on one wire and the other on the housing . You should get a resistance(same ars the resistance of the bulb) reading if it is using the body for ground . Then put one lead on each wire . If you get a reading other than infinate here then you have a single beam headlight only ( one wire ground other power )..

An easy test is to run one wire ground and the other power if the light comes on = single beam If its a dual beam nothing will happen / if not then run a ground wire to the case and touch the pos + to either of the wires this will tell you which is high and low .

P.S. If it is grounded by headlight to frame contact I recomend running a groun wire anyway .Even if you just hook it up to the headlight mounting bracket .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts