Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may or may not have heard that a new NC law started as of 1/1/08. The law requires MC helmets to be DOT-approved. I'm not an expert on the law, nor trying to start a debate on it.

What bugs me is that a co-worker arrived at work today and knowing that I am a motorcycle rider, her first comment to me after saying happy new year, is asking if I heard that "Nazi-style helmets are now banned in NC".

Of course, I politely explained the issue of "novelty" helmets no longer being able to be worn because of a loop-hole in the law. I asked her where she had heard it....on the local news station this morning. Geez...is that all they can come up with...Nazi style???

I've tried searching the net for any mention of it from the local media, especially with any reference to Nazi style. Nothing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Might want to show her these "Nazi" DOT helmets. They are legal here. Local news I have seen seems to be well informed on what constitutes a novelty helmet. They came across as informative on the new law and how it would affect riders. Mainly that you can be stopped for a helmet check, no other reason needed.

Dan

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
It doesn't matter the style. You can look like Darth Vader if the helmet is DOT approved. Just a question of taste and manufacturing style.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think that is fked up that a cop can pull you over just for a helmet check. Also i saw a picture of someone selling their motorcycle near where i live ok. And it was a red lisence plate (totally werid for our area) and in big white letters under the plate id, it says Under 21.. is it just me or is that age discrimination. I mean i will always leave my house with a helmet, no matter what. but i beleive in our right as americans to choose if you want to wear a helmet or not and if you want it to be a novelty helmet or not.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Tiger
Yes, helmets have been manditory for as long as I can recall.

Antiq,
You are correct sir, there are some funky ones out there too.
Those German style helmets will always remind me of Eric Von Zipper and the Ratz.:lol:

Dan

·
Registered
289 Posts
Jam,
I just glanced at the Florida helmet law and didn't see where that tag was a requirement. May be some proactive parents ensuring Jr wears his helmet;) .

Dan

·
<3
1,312 Posts
Ddouble,
that must suck being forced by the law to wear helmets....up here in PA its optional...that is of course unless u have over protective parents like me!

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Ma. requires but Ct. doesn't. You always see a lot of riders stopping at the state line either putting on or taking off. Kind of a pain I think. Helmet doesn't bother me really. When I cross into a state that doesn't require I still leave mine on. I do agree though that it should be up to the rider.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Tiger,
Doesn't bother me much. Boots, full fingered gloves, long sleeves, long pants all part of the uniform. I feel sort of strange without helmet and gloves, I have ridden in just a T-shirt :biggrin: . I guess it's all about comfort level, I would not want my views enforced on others any more than I want their's enforced on me. I am forced to listen to other's loud pipes but that's another thread. ;)

Dan

·
... at the old, ballgame!
1,061 Posts
I think that is fked up that a cop can pull you over just for a helmet check. Also i saw a picture of someone selling their motorcycle near where i live ok. And it was a red lisence plate (totally werid for our area) and in big white letters under the plate id, it says Under 21.. is it just me or is that age discrimination. I mean i will always leave my house with a helmet, no matter what. but i beleive in our right as americans to choose if you want to wear a helmet or not and if you want it to be a novelty helmet or not.
I read most of the posts having to do with helmets, and one of the most common comments has to do with riders having a "right" to not wear a helmet. Riding and driving are state licensed privileges. A person doesn't have a "right" to ride or drive, period. The state can place any limitations on the activity they want, including making you wear a helmet or a seat belt, making you have special licenses for different types of vehicles, require you to ride/drive below (and possible above) certain limit(s), ride/drive sober, not talk on a cell phone, etc. You can be stopped at sobriety check-points without probable cause. You can be made to take a sobriety test, and if you don't it can be considered an automatic admission of guilt.

In general, "rights" cannot be easily taken away. For example, it usually takes a felony conviction for your right to vote to be suspended or removed. On the other hand, accumulate enough misdemeanor traffic violations and your driving/riding privileges can easily be taken away (and automatically in some states).

The same reasoning can be applied to labeling an underage rider/driver, particularly since there are plenty of other activities that are limited by age - drinking, smoking, sex, and any sort of driving are the obvious examples (not that the fact that any of those activities are illegal below certain ages has stopped everyone). These restrictions are not considered "age discrimination" (as defined in civil rights law).

OTOH, I side with those, like Jams, who think wearing a helmet should be a personal preference (once you are at least 18 ), not a requirement, even though, like Jams, I wear a helmet every time I get on my bike. I also think seat belts should be optional for those over 18, even though I wear my seat belt all the time. (I don't have a problem with requiring safety equipment for those under 18 because the law presumes that those under 18 are not capable of making some kinds of decisions for themselves.)

·
Registered
237 Posts
ok thats kool, cuz i dont want my plate to say under 21. that would **** me off because our local cops are jerks to say the least, besides a few, i always hook them up when they come to my work

·
Registered
204 Posts
I did a lot of dirt riding in my much younger days. I also had more then a few falls. More then once, Id think, "wow good thing I have a helmet on" Im pretty sure my head is not as strong as the street, a light pole, or the side of a car. Here in Missouri, a DOT helmet is the law. Im pretty sure Id where one even with out it being manditory.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Texas is still helmet optional, but you must be of age and have the prescribed personal injury insurance if you go about bare headed. The police can stop you for no helmet in order to verify these items. You can wear a non DOT helmet, but it does not count as an actual helmet, in lieu of the helmet-less requirements...

·
<3
1,312 Posts
i think i'm tough enough to handle things.... i've had a dirtbike and rider land on top of me while i was praticing just b/c some stupid guy was trying to show me upa nd pass me out b/c he didn't think girl belonged on the track.... and i made it through that.. and i didn't even cry like most of the guys who are absolute babies would have... i was pretty hurt for awhile though

·
Registered
289 Posts
I grew up in the farm land of western Pa. 95% of the time I rode without a helmet. Always wore long pants, all my bikes had high pipes that would burn the mess out of your leg if you didn't. I carry scars and have been concussed a few times so a safety gear just makes sense now.
In a fit of youthful exuberance last summer I took off in a t-shirt (boots, jeans, gloves, helmet), a bee (hornet, wasp don't really know) almost took me off the bike at 75mph. Hit me on the clavicle, just left of center. Brought tears to my eyes. Kept me in my jacket for the rest of the season.:p

Dan

·
Registered
394 Posts
full gear is too boring and playing it on the safe side
I hear juggling rattlesnakes is awesome fun!

The one and only time I've ridden without full gear was when I was riding to a friend's wedding wearing a tux. The ride was about a tenth of a mile, but that was a whole tenth of a mile that I got to be James Bond. Incidentally, I did wear gloves, and the other groomsmen said I looked like a hitman. :biggrin: :cool:

1 - 20 of 131 Posts