Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got started bobbing a '81 KZ440ltd, and want to weld on a hardtail. My question is, does anybody know the inside diameter of the smaller frame tube? I want to put some roundbar slugs inside to stiffen the welded areas. I'm hesitant to cut the frame until I know I can get a hold of material to finish it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. Hope some knowledgeables would chime in. Or post in the tech section
Thanks for the welcome. Went ahead and chopped it. It's just about 7/8" ID. Got some free sucker rod from the machine shop that will fit with a little grinding.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
Rather than grind, why not have the machine shop take a skim cut on the rod with a lathe, and produce a perfect size with perfect roundness?

It should not cost much as it would only take them a few minutes to do this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rather than grind, why not have the machine shop take a skim cut on the rod with a lathe, and produce a perfect size with perfect roundness?

It should not cost much as it would only take them a few minutes to do this.
I thought about that, but the problem there is that the frame tube is out of round and has a seem inside that I can't reach to clean out. It'll take a while but im sure I can get a good fit.

·
Super Moderator
2,569 Posts
And I suppose if you used a 7/8" reamer in the tube it might weaken the tube. A judgement call. You seem confident on a good fit with a grinder.

But on another topic, does your bike have belt drive?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And I suppose if you used a 7/8" reamer in the tube it might weaken the tube. A judgement call. You seem confident on a good fit with a grinder.

But on another topic, does your bike have belt drive?
Nope, chain drive. Worth noting too that im making this **** up as I go, and this isn't going to be a daily rider. I've got a bike to ride, this is just something to stay busy with in the garage. Thanks for the input tho, I'll think about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts